Chrome strip on Esky/Denali running boards: part of the boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Can anyone confirm whether the chrome strip on the edge of the '09 Denali (and '07+ Eskys, I think) is part of the boards themselves, or a separate piece that can be added to the Tahoe boards?

It appears to me like it's "integrated" into the boards -- and maybe that the boards themselves are two pieces (the horizontal boards seems to fit into a piece along the rockers). But, I couldn't tell for sure.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

/< / /2 /<

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
They are two peice intergrated chrome strips, so pretty much the only way to get them exactly is too buy the running board.
You can get a pre cut chrome strip on Ebay and it will look just like it though, I have one.....

3blackchevys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are two peice intergrated chrome strips, so pretty much the only way to get them exactly is too buy the running board.
You can get a pre cut chrome strip on Ebay and it will look just like it though, I have one.....

I just bought them myself, they don't stick very good, so I am returning them today.

houtex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased the ones from ebay thinking it was factory chrome,it was just chrome tape by 3M..that being said ,I cleaned my boards using Dawn and then rubbing alcohol. I took my time and was able to get the tape VERY straight. After 2 weeks the ends starting coming up. I went back and Superglued the ends and have not had a problem since. BUT,on the passenger side ,where my 5 foot wife steps up to enter the chrome seem to be a bit wavy. You can tell from about 10 feet away. Easy,cheap mod that looks real good but I dont expect it to last. save your money and time and get it from Autozone or the like and not from Ebay.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I agree with you guys, the 3M chrome strip from Ebay is pretty flimsy, for what it counts my first set didnt even stick, just came right off.
The seller gave me another free set and thats what I have now, kind of wavy on the driver side just like houtex.
Also I had to superglue the ends near the rear tires becuse the way that stirp is designed is not meant to go around sharp curbes like that so I wanted to have them stick real good because once the ends come off, the whole thing will follor. The front ends are fine though. Pretty sure the strip is pretty solid in now, it sbeen on for 3 months through hot temperatures so if it comes off I'd be surprised btu will NOT put it back oon again!

4x4play

Reaction score
I agree your better off going to the auto parts store and for the same money as ebay you can get 3m crome tape. Take your time cleaning and taping it on straight and it looks great. I can't imagine it will last for ever, but cheap enough if you have to replace it.

turboeclips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the OEM version is only available as a complete running board. I just board the chrome 3M type stuff from Autozone. Haven't had any problems what so ever. Like someone else said, just make sure the clean the surface very well before "installing" it. I have it on the rear bumper and also on the running boards.

rear.JPG

This picture is while I was in the process of swapping out the door handles, which is why one is white and the other is chrome.

side.jpg

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 3m from auto zone in January and have yet to have a problem

Last edited:

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo.. how hard was it to swap out your door handles? looking into this mod over buying the chrome covers....anything special needs to be done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel