Clunking from rear on bumps...what the hell is it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riff Raff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem when i go over speed bumps, it's a clunking sound on my right rear

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever get this figured out? dont know how bad of a clunk but is there a possibility it could be the exhaust that broke a weld and is clanking on a hanger? Happened on my buddies truck, but it wasnt a loud heavy clunk if thats what you guys are talking about

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Still not sure what it is. Could be the trailing as arms as someone suggested, just haven't had the time to check it out. I did check the exhaust, though, as that was one of my first thoughts. It's on tight, no movement in it really at all (which bums me out because I really want an excuse to have to replace it....lol).

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I have to ask... did you check to make sure the jack & all that crap is tight? Also, do you have rear AC? Maybe something's loose in there.

Could even be the rear seats.

BH

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Suburban was doing the exact same thing about two years ago. It was really bad going over speed bumps. I brought it in to the dealer and told them to check everything in the back. I thought it was the shocks or suspension or something. Turns out that it was the pinion bearing in the rear end. They were shot. They ended up having to rebuil the rear and and replace the gears and everything. If I wouldn't have had the extended warranty it would have cost me $2100 to get it fixed. Although I'm sure I probably could have found a shop to do it for about half what the dealer charges.
One cool thing came out of it though. My parking brake shoes were worn to shit and the service manager called and said they could change them for me and only charge me for the brake shoes and only $30 labor since they already had the rear end torn apart anyways.

SDavis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue. maybe jacking it up a little with a floor jack and dropping it hard cud recreate? Im going to try it too

Joe1129uscg

Reaction score
The clunk noise is the slip yoke on the drive shaft, remove bolts from rear axle and slide the drive shaft out of the transmission and grease the heck out of it and the noise will be gone for 6 months or so. GM also makes a nickel plated slip yoke that fixes the problem but its expensive...

The noise is caused by the slip yoke binding up when you go over a big enough bump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapnBob