Clunking from suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project96

Reaction score
So I recently had a fender bender and sadly to say I didn't have collision insurance so I got stuck repairing my own vehicle. The damage wasn't too bad enough to bend the rad support but not enough to disable the vehicle.
Anyways, I've replace the hood, left fender, grille, bumper and a few brackets, I'll do the rad support in the summer.
The truck still drives straight but everytime I hit a certain bump I hear a weird clunking noise coming from the left wheel. It's more of a loud THUNK or similar it's hard to explain. Seems like the sound of a blown strut would make or something. But the truck still bounces fine and if I go over smooth bumps it doesn't make the noise only over rough ones.
I have pulled off the wheel and inspected, the ball joints and tie rods seem fine and nothing else seems broken or bent.
Any ideas??

*Also to mention that the old rusty spare tire is on the front left right now

Last edited:

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the link that connects torsion bar to frame... mine broke when dad crashed it last year couldnt figure out till i was under and could push the passenger torsion bar up and down lol.

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
K I just got a chance to look underneath again, the sway bar bushings seem to be in check as well as the torsion bar.

I noticed the tie rod ends had movement in them (front to back) is this normal or is that what is causing the clunking? When I move them, it seems to be the noise that I am hearing...

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but replace them! No play at all! And get an alignment when you are done.

Put all your suspension parts under a load, some may seem to be broken, but under stress cracks and other elements are exsposed. What about your bushings...in your control arm.

gl

ff40

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
Control arm bushings seemed to be in check as well. And I've just replaced both inner & outer tie rods which cost freakin $55 a piece but they needed to be done anyways and my steering is mint now.

But the clunking...still there, so now I'm stumped. I have to take it in tomorrow for alignment I'll get one of the mech's there to take it for a drive and hopefully they can give me an answer to this mystery.

If my sway bar was bent from one side, could it be the cause of the noise??

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
So I've finally figured it out and "the big blue bus" you were right man the end of the torsion bar is broken. I got my cousin to rock the truck side to side while I looked underneath and I saw the torsion bar broken from where it bolts towards the rear of the truck. It broke from the inside somewhere that's probably why I didnt see it before.

Any thing I should know about while replacing this? Dealer only item? Is there any upgraded parts for this? And also if anybody has the actual name for this piece that would be helpful. Thanks.

IMG_0315.gif

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You appers to be pointing at the torsion bar support link at least its bottom bolt any way.

If your bar was broken that corner of the vehicle would colapse.

Dealers sell the link for about $25 hardware mayber anothe $20

Key Part No. Description Usage Year
(YY-YY) Req Qty. LR Retail
Price Your
Price Qty.
Add to Cart Cart
1 **984642 SUPPORT TORS BAR,(INCLS SUPPORTS) K107(06) 95-00 1
$95.87

$70.01
2 **516169 BOLT TORS BAR SUPT LINK,HFH,14X2X80,HDR PT,10.9,7112M,(ALL MODELS ALL YEARS) 95-00 AR
$4.60

$3.11
3 **516382 NUT TORS BAR SUPT LINK,HFH LK M14X2X15,28 OD 10 7111M,(ALL MODELS ALL YEARS),(M14X2X15) 95-00 AR
$1.53

$1.03
4 **984643 LINK TORS BAR SUPT K107(06) 95-00 2
$35.01

$24.71
5 **561233 NUT TORS BAR ADJ K1,2,3 95-00 2
$20.07

$14.16
6 **530026 BOLT TORS BAR ADJ,(M12X1.75X56,47.8 GRIP,FULL THD) K1,2,3 95-00 2
$4.33

$3.06

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies so it is that piece I looked once again to double check I used a prybar to bend the torsion bar down and I seen that support link broken in half but unfortunately I can't fix it today because Gm dealership auto parts are closed on Sunday's half to wait till Thursday! haha damn work schedule. It's okay to drive I just have to drive carefully and not go too fast over big bumps. But yeah, problem solved & thanks to everyone that helped me out on this. Greatly appreciated!