Clunks when turning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdorton16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2000 yukon and its always been good to me...BUT the other day I went over a bump on my way to work and ever since then it has developed a loud clunk/crack noise every time I turn and it makes the truck jerk as though something is catching I checked with a couple mechanics and everyone's opinion was to check ball joints and cv axles so I did just that I replaced all ball joints all tie rods both cv axles and a wheel hub assembly and still the problem persists when driving straight it drives like a champ shifts great and no noises so if anyone out there has any insight on the situation some help would be greatly appreciated
-cody

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would check over the whole vehicle for any obvious signs of damage maybe a broken motor mount or trans mount but that you should only feel when giving gas can you re create the noise when parked?

OP
OP
C

cdorton16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No I cannot duplicate the sound unless I'm moving and with the whole vehicle jerking when it happens it's hard for me to tell exactly which end of the car it's coming from

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO sounds like somthing is not tight , so stitting still with vehicle running even steering quickly side to side nothing? if so i would jack up the vehicle and make sure everything looks tight and secure are you feeling it through the steering or the whole vehicle?

OP
OP
C

cdorton16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't feel it in the wheel at all but I can definitely feel it through the floor

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#PIT3118M: Pop/Clunk/Click Noise On Right Or Left Turns Felt In The Floor - keywords body bolt insulator mount pan suspension - (Nov 28, 2006)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Owners may comment of a pop, clunk or thump type noise when turning left or right. This noise may be heard and/or felt at either the driver or passenger floor pan area.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Install insulator part number 15899719 at the right and left side #1 body mounts. The insulator should be installed between the upper portion of the body mount and the frame bracket. The #1 mount is the mount located just under the A-pillar. Clean the threads of the bolt with denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry. Apply Threadlocker, GM P/N 12345493 (In Canada use P/N 10953488). Install the body mount bolts and tighten to specification.
Important: While the body mount is removed, check the underbody area that interfaces with the top of the body mount for excess build-up of E-Coat Primer or other foreign material. If the surface is not smooth use a 90 degree die grinder, or equivalent to remove the excessive build-up. Apply an anti-corrosion protection, P/N 12378398 (in Canada, 10952414), to the bare surface as necessary to prevent rusting.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Does that seem to be your issue? My Silvy has an identical issue to your complaint, I've been meaning to fix it but keep putting it off over the last few weeks

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems to be ur issue lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
C

cdorton16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen I will install that and definitely report back

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how the install goes. I'm tempted to actually just replace all my body mounts since it's been in Michigan/Wisconsin it's whole life, and the mounts are looking pretty worn anyways

I've never dealt with this tsb either yet, so I'm wondering how it's gonna go. Let me know if it solves your issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065