Cluster Compatability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am thinking about adding a transmission temp gauge to my 2004 Tahoe. I know, join the club. Two reasons, one I just has it apart to replace the speedo stepper motor and saw how friggin it easy was to do. Second, both my Duramaxes had one and they may be inaccurate but they seem useful to some extent.

My problem is I cannot find anyone to sell me an overlay with the tranny temp "reading" on it. I find them online for $80, where as the non tranny gauge they only want $20 for.

So, I've been on ebay and found a cluster out of a 2006. I don't know what it's out of, but it has white needles and the trans temp guage installed. Looks like the housing is silverish and not black like mine. I want it, but the only difference I can see is the PRND321. Mine is in a window, and this one is printed on the overlay and a light lights up under whatever gear it's in.

Will these interchange??

ESCALADE200224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say your going to be fine with that difference. Same thing is happening with the 03-06 escalades and if yours is a 04 and it comes out of a 06 and has the letters printed instead of digital letters you'll be fine.

If the overlay were different as yours says PRND321 versus PRNDM or PRNDM1. Id be worried if I was you.

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered it. If it does not work I am sure I can resell it.

Here is a pic. I was told it was new with 0 miles on it.

Hope it works!

Will let you know.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 15105685-02.jpg
    15105685-02.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are going to get your current mileage set on it right?

Yes Sir, as soon as I make sure it works with my truck.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 2004 tahoe with 0 miles on it again. But I think the carfax would give it away.

:uhoh2:

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cluster looks just like mine. I drive an 03 Denali but, the only difference I see also is the gear selector is different in mine as well. I would think this came out of an 06 Denali. They are all interchangeable from 03-06

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it today and installed it. It looks as if everything works. Mainly the PRND321 work fine even though it is the newer style.

Only thing I noticed is some of the functions are gone. My old one had "personal", "business" miles and seems like some other things this one is missing. I have 'trip a" and "trip b" which is the same thing, but there are definatly some functions not there anymore.

When I have it programmed, will these come back?

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure the transmission temp guage is working. I drove about 15 miles at 65mph and it never moved off 100. It is 32 degrees out. Anyone with a tranny guage. Do they move when it's cold out? How can I test it?

erock198

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure the transmission temp guage is working. I drove about 15 miles at 65mph and it never moved off 100. It is 32 degrees out. Anyone with a tranny guage. Do they move when it's cold out? How can I test it?

Do you have the sensor? I would imagine no gauge no sensor?

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

That cluster looks just like mine. I drive an 03 Denali but, the only difference I see also is the gear selector is different in mine as well. I would think this came out of an 06 Denali. They are all interchangeable from 03-06

I drive an 03 denali as well and I have a sticky speedo. Can I get one from ebay and be good to go or do I need to go to the dealer to get it programmed? Of course the dealer is going to want me to do that but I dont want to spend the extra dough.

Also, can I drive without a cluster if I send mine out to get rebuilt?