Cluster Compatability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that cluster is an 06 denali cluster.

the prnd123 is digital prior to 06.

do NOT drive with a cluster before it has been programmed or GM cannot reporgram it.

the trans temp gauge is not gonna move after 15 minutes of driving in 32* weather. :|

erock198

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim,

So I'm better off paying the $410 dealer price then the $200 junkyard price? If I bought one from like ebay of a junk yard that was direct fit to my truck is it not already programmed?

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it today and installed it. It looks as if everything works. Mainly the PRND321 work fine even though it is the newer style.

Only thing I noticed is some of the functions are gone. My old one had "personal", "business" miles and seems like some other things this one is missing. I have 'trip a" and "trip b" which is the same thing, but there are definatly some functions not there anymore.

When I have it programmed, will these come back?

You said that you replaced the speedo stepper motor and it was easy for you. Why don't you just strip down the new denali cluster and transfer over (to your current cluster) 1 stepper motor for the tranny temp gauge, the overlay, needles, and faceplate? It would only take you a couple of hours and you wouldnt have to deal with anyone else for programming options and miles.

My tranny gauge takes a long time for it to move in really cold weather.

I drive an 03 denali as well and I have a sticky speedo. Can I get one from ebay and be good to go or do I need to go to the dealer to get it programmed? Of course the dealer is going to want me to do that but I dont want to spend the extra dough.

Also, can I drive without a cluster if I send mine out to get rebuilt?

If you install another cluster, the mileage will not match. Some ebay sellers have the ability to program the mileage that you specify. If you send yours out to get fixed, yes you can drive without the cluster.

How good are you with electronics and a soldering iron? It's seriously like a $2 part that you need to solder in and your speedo will work again.

erock198

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you install another cluster, the mileage will not match. Some ebay sellers have the ability to program the mileage that you specify. If you send yours out to get fixed, yes you can drive without the cluster.

How good are you with electronics and a soldering iron? It's seriously like a $2 part that you need to solder in and your speedo will work again.

It was my understanding the mileage was stored in the computer?

I own a computer store so we are good with soldering. What do I need. Another issue is that I put a hole in the plastic cover that goes over the cluster so I need one of those too.

I'll just get the parts. they are cheaper :)

doubletap1911

Reaction score
It was my understanding the mileage was stored in the computer?

That was my thinking too. My Cavalier set properly when I swapped a Sunfire cluster into my Cavalier. I'd love clarification from Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade owners before I do something I regret with my Tahoe.

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its cheaper to buy the one from schram and get it programmed.

And no, mileage is not stored in the computer.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the ability to solder, it's cheaper to do it yourself.

2500HD Overlay - $30

Stepper Motor $5-$10

Needles are like $10 for a set on ebay. You only need 1 for your new tranny temp gauge. You could sell the rest to needy forum members and still re-coup most of your $10 back.

Erock, no cluster repair service is going to be cheap if you ask them to replace the plastic face. If I were you, I would find a cheap 2500hd cluster, gut it for the plastic face, stepper motors, and overlay, bulbs, and transfer over what you need. It's a pity you need the plastic cover, otherwise it wouldn't cost you over $40 to do it yourself.

erock198

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Erock, no cluster repair service is going to be cheap if you ask them to replace the plastic face. If I were you, I would find a cheap 2500hd cluster, gut it for the plastic face, stepper motors, and overlay, bulbs, and transfer over what you need. It's a pity you need the plastic cover, otherwise it wouldn't cost you over $40 to do it yourself.

Yeah I was looking. It gets worse though, My oil pressure gauge is jumping all over the place but the oil level is fine, I had it checked. This happened after the speedo went.

I think I talked myself into a dealer replacement........

erock198

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK So I just Had one of the guys in my stop swap out two of my stepper motors and so far the Oil Pressure Gauge and the speedo seem to be working. I just need to order a replacement cover and I"m back to new :)

One note is that there is like a flange or washer that came off with one of the old motors that needs to be there to make contact. We had to do some creative soldering to get it to work. On first test drive, the needle kept going up and did not stop till it was pinned at 120mph

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That overlay you linked too is for a diesel. Believe me, I did the research. The ones for the gas engines are $80.