Considering a 2017-2019 Yukon XL or a Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckmiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We enjoy our 2018 Grand Cherokee but now we need more cargo space, way more.

Due to our budget and pre-owned prices it looks like a 2017-2019 will have to do. Slightly under or slight over 100,000 miles seems to be what is available. A Denali or Premier level trim is not working for me because of the very expensive to replace magnetic shocks and the 22 inch wheels. That seems to leave an SLT or LT trim level in order to have all of the nice options. I want a 4x4 that also has 4-Low. The HD Trailer package would be great.

What things should I be conscious of when I inspect a potential vehicle? What things may be worn and/or need service on a 100,000 mile candidate? What other questions should I be asking?

THANK YOU.
Chuck

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

There have been a couple of threads within the past few months on items to check/replace at 100,000 miles. Maybe @Fless can steer you toward them, as they were quite complete.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just use the search function this same question gets asked all the time.
the bottom line is you just need to check everything, look for leaks, listen for noises, nothing inherently different than any other used vehicle
test everything and bring a flashlight so you can look at stuff underneath the vehicle
I have been buying used cars my entire life never once went wrong

PPK_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i traded my 2021 JGC in on a tahoe... a real V8 this time around. i had a 2005 yukon.. before.. these new tahoes are much nicer. My first yukon had the 4 low setting.. but then with a 355 hp motor of today.. do you need it? that is one area i would just get the 4H and move on. i used low on my old one.. and you are still stuck.. these new guys with 10 sp and decent V8 you might not need 4 low.

you will be happy otherwise. especially after hour three or four. that is about the the CGJ was really digging at me...

duke90

Reaction score
You can't get a 2015-2020 with a 2spd transfer case unless you get the Denali trim on the yukons. The SLT and SLE trims came with a single speed T-Case. Only the 6.2 denali package had the 2speed T-Case. 100k mark is where you're going to need to start doing a lot of maintenance. Not horrible if you can do it yourself. Spark plugs, diff fluid changes, motor mounts, rear tail lights, AC condenser... I love my yukon, but at that mileage it will require maintenance work if it hasn't been done already.

rswaug

Reaction score
You're going to be dealing with a 6 speed transmission based on the equipment level you're looking for. You've got a better than average chance of needing to do some maintenance on it at some point, especially around 100K. Learn as much as you can about what the previous owner did as far as preventive maintenance on whatever you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elwah