Coolant Temp Sensor lasts about 30 days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtisleefarmer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forum. I have a 2015 Yukon Denali XL with about 210k miles on it. Still runs great for its age/use. The one issue we've had regularly is the coolant temp sensor failing about every 30 days or so. I started replacing them myself and went through a half dozen before we got it into the shop and they claimed it needed an OEM part (sure, makes sense) and a new harness since coolant getting on it was the likely culprit. Well, a month later and it has burned out again. Replaced that one again myself because the shop in our little mountain town is out of business (can't find a mechanic) and it went out almost exactly 30 days later. I've got the new one in, but does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks everybody!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you completely changed out all the antifreeze?
If your goal is to keep it for the foreseeable future,
there is a small possibility you may even want to consider a coolant filter, even if only temporarily.

J5races

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forum. I have a 2015 Yukon Denali XL with about 210k miles on it. Still runs great for its age/use. The one issue we've had regularly is the coolant temp sensor failing about every 30 days or so. I started replacing them myself and went through a half dozen before we got it into the shop and they claimed it needed an OEM part (sure, makes sense) and a new harness since coolant getting on it was the likely culprit. Well, a month later and it has burned out again. Replaced that one again myself because the shop in our little mountain town is out of business (can't find a mechanic) and it went out almost exactly 30 days later. I've got the new one in, but does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks everybody!
Original radiator? Do the old ones look corroded or fried or perfectly fine? Have you checked a new one versus an old one with a meter to see what they measure?

My guess (and just throwing out a possible reason, have never seen this happen on any car) is that somehow voltage is in the cooling system and causing electrolysis. Again, Im just throwing out a guess
on this and could likely be way off.

Is your engine ground on the upper right side of the water pump housing in good condition (no broken or damaged wires) and tight?

OP
OP
C

curtisleefarmer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When was the last time you completely changed out all the antifreeze?
If your goal is to keep it for the foreseeable future,
there is a small possibility you may even want to consider a coolant filter, even if only temporarily.
Probably been a while... I will definitely get it in for a coolant flush!

OP
OP
C

curtisleefarmer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Original radiator? Do the old ones look corroded or fried or perfectly fine? Have you checked a new one versus an old one with a meter to see what they measure?

My guess (and just throwing out a possible reason, have never seen this happen on any car) is that somehow voltage is in the cooling system and causing electrolysis. Again, Im just throwing out a guess
on this and could likely be way off.

Is your engine ground on the upper right side of the water pump housing in good condition (no broken or damaged wires) and tight?
Not sure on original radiator, as we bought it used several years ago. But the old sensors definitely look perfectly fine with no corrosion or marks. I'm completely in the dark on anything electrical (it's greek to me) so I'll have to get back to you on the other. But I don't see anything with wiring in poor condition if I'm looking in the right place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
07-62escalade