Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smasal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got in a pinch today out of town. Low coolant light came on and I stopped into auto zone. Bought a house brand universal coolant. Not the cheap stuff. But not dexacool. Added ot right in bc I've heard dexacool isn't liked by everyone. But the truck ran fine and light was gone immediately. Should I flush and refill or not that big of a deal? Tahoe runs amazing. Just broke 150k miles. Thanks

Smasal

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Got in a pinch today out of town. Low coolant light came on and I stopped into auto zone. Bought a house brand universal coolant. Not the cheap stuff. But not dexacool. Added ot right in bc I've heard dexacool isn't liked by everyone. But the truck ran fine and light was gone immediately. Should I flush and refill or not that big of a deal? Tahoe runs amazing. Just broke 150k miles. Thanks

Smasal

Flush it only beacuese of the Dexcool that was in it. The universal stuff is better for the vehicle anyway but only if you get ALL of the Dex out beforehand. Flush it with a hose. Dex is like certain old Southern men's views.. "mixing ain't no good."

Last edited:

andypayette

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

the red antifreeze is harsher on gaskets. Personally I would always put green coolant in.

I would though work out why it is low and then flush the system. Make sure you back flush the radiator and get it very clean. I would add some additive to help against rust and with cooling.

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonduck