Cost of 30k tuneup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
30K sounds a little bit low for a tune up already? As long as you have changed the oil every 3,000 Miles and rotated the tires as well, then you should be fine until 60,000K. When you do hit 60K go ahead and change your air filter, spark plugs, oil, ECT...

FYI, doing an oil change every 3K was a marketing ploy from companies like ****** Jiffy Lube. The oil should be changed every 5K-6K depending on driving habits on newer vehicles. Do yourself a favor, and go by the manufacturers recommendations.

Also, you would be wasting your money changing the spark plugs at 60K.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, doing an oil change every 3K was a marketing ploy from companies like ****** Jiffy Lube. The oil should be changed every 5K-6K depending on driving habits on newer vehicles. Do yourself a favor, and go by the manufacturers recommendations.

Also, you would be wasting your money changing the spark plugs at 60K.

I recently changed my spark plugs at 60,000 Miles because I was having a hard knock from a spark plug not firing. I also pulled a code on it as well. It could have also been the ****** plugs the PO had used. I drive ALOT. Im always driving out of state for different things and visiting colleges. So right now, at 3,000 Miles my oil looks like it's been in there for 50,000.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys have alot of faith in late model trucks? Are they running semi-syn oil and iridium plugs now?

Oils break down and lose their lubricity and ability to dissipate heat, simple as that. Semi-syn take longer to breakdown, and syn even longer.

5-6k per oil change, take a test.. ask them to show you your oil on white paper at a 3k change and a 6k change. It might "change" your mind :)

B

R.Beezy

Costco Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys have alot of faith in late model trucks? Are they running semi-syn oil and iridium plugs now?

Oils break down and lose their lubricity and ability to dissipate heat, simple as that. Semi-syn take longer to breakdown, and syn even longer.

5-6k per oil change, take a test.. ask them to show you your oil on white paper at a 3k change and a 6k change. It might "change" your mind :)

B

of course oil at 6k is going to be dirtier than oil at 3k. but if you're using synthetic oil, oil at 6k is probably still ok and good to go depending on the kind of synthetic you're using.

i use the theory of changing oil at 3k for conventional oils & changing oil at 6k for synthetics. but im definitely not changing oil every 3k like you said. using synthetic and changing every 3k might be hurting your ride more than helping it!

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score

B

I look at my oil every time. No issues with oil at 5K. I also manage a fleet of 100+ vehicles. Per manufacturer specs, no oil is ever changed before 5K regardless of synthetic or regular. Synthetic oil will last upwards of 10K before breaking down.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I've got a 2008 Z71 that's finally hit its 30k mark, I called the dealer to set up the 30k tuneup and he quoted me $689. Is that normal or should I be looking somewhere else for this.

Also, if I take it somewhere else, can the dealer use it against me if there is a problem with the vehicle later on?

Thanks,
O2bwln

Per the manual, there is virtually nothing to do except lube the chassis. Do you have a 4wd?

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

wat needs done to the tranny @ 75k?

Nothing, fluid change already happens at 50,000 miles. If you 1. drive in city traffic a lot under high heat conditions or 2. drive in hilly terrain. Again, this is in/per the manual.

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily say that the "color" or even the "smell" (though a burnt smell is generally a bad thing when talking about trannies) is a very good indicator. If you really want to get to know your engine and oil habits, you need to hit up a place like Blackstone http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and, if you are in the mood for some technical (as well as practical and user write ups), you can't beat http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ Bob is the Oil Guy really has some interesting things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968