Couple problems 2004 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a couple issues I need help with. I saw street suspension and lifted suspension, but nothing for stock, so I suppose I will put it here.

Tahoe squeaks when turning the wheel and also when hitting bumps. I took it to a shop a few months back and they could not 'duplicate' the issue, and sent me home with a huge diagnostic bill. Took it on a 1100 mile round trip last week from Ohio to Tennessee and it squeaked so loud people would look at us when going up into the Smokies. Ball joints? Bushings?

Second, where can I get the driver side leather seat repaired? Are there places who do this type of work? What should I "Google" to find someone local?

The drivers arm rest is cracked and hard to rest on. Can that be recovered as well?

Lastly, the front and rear bumpers (Z71) are tan colored like the truck. Rusted like heck. Any solutions. Most body shops won't repaint them. Should I just get chrome from a junkyard and put the color matched caps on them and be done with it?

Thanks!

kschumake83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you get the truck from new york or something, rusted bumpers on an 04? as for the squeaking my 02 does the same thing and I will be looking into it this weekend so I will report back if I find anything.

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope, the truck has spent it's whole life in Ohio. From what I've seen the rusty bumpers on the Z71's are a common thing. I looked at 3 different Tahoe's before I bought this one and they all 3 had rust. One was black and looked terrible.

angrysam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. Bumpers rust bad over here too. Get chrome or buy some replacement bumpers and paint or bedliner them. Call your local junkyards. LKQ over here sells new primered steel for like $130 a bumper.

If I had to guess....It sounds similar to a dry ball joint. Usually when they get that bad greasing them won't fix it. usually you can crawl under it while someone saws the wheel back and forth and figure out what it is.

Check out the seat shop-- http://www.theseatshop.com/

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. Bumpers rust bad over here too. Get chrome or buy some replacement bumpers and paint or bedliner them. Call your local junkyards. LKQ over here sells new primered steel for like $130 a bumper.

If I had to guess....It sounds similar to a dry ball joint. Usually when they get that bad greasing them won't fix it. usually you can crawl under it while someone saws the wheel back and forth and figure out what it is.

Check out the seat shop-- http://www.theseatshop.com/

Thank you for a very informative answer! I looked up the seat shop!

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian