Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sstauffer7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2015 Yukon XL Denali and the cruise control will turn on and off but hitting the SET button does nothing. The number just stays at zero and won’t engage the cruise control. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. I’m not sure about the newer rigs but my 07 had a bad brake switch. It won’t let CC set if it’s bad. I’d guess that’s the issue. If so it’s inexpensive and easy to fix.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2015 Yukon XL Denali and the cruise control will turn on and off but hitting the SET button does nothing. The number just stays at zero and won’t engage the cruise control. Any ideas of what could be causing this?
are you sure you are using it correctly?
you have to turn on cruise control (while moving) then hit the set button.
hitting the brakes then turns it off, hitting res/+ re-engages cruise, hitting +/- increase/decreases speed.
all until you either turn off cruise or cycle the key
if cruise is not turning on/engaging then you have either a brake related issue or check engine light.

Last edited:

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sense in starting a new thread - I am running into the same issue as OP. Cruise control comes on. but trying to set a speed isn;t working. Yes I know how to use it - been using it since I bought the truck new.

No codes on the dash, no SES, no brake light, nada. The little "speedo" pic shows up on the DIC when I turn cruise on but nada when trying to set the speed.

I just had the rear diff rebuilt so I was concerned there were sensors on the axels or something that didn't get transferred. over?

If its a brake switch then this is super coincidental that the switch broke while the rear diff was getting rebuilt? Seems odd. That brake switch is under the dash by the bake pedal? Is it at the brake calipers? If someone has apart number, I would def appreciate it. Let me know. Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sense in starting a new thread - I am running into the same issue as OP. Cruise control comes on. but trying to set a speed isn;t working. Yes I know how to use it - been using it since I bought the truck new.

No codes on the dash, no SES, no brake light, nada. The little "speedo" pic shows up on the DIC when I turn cruise on but nada when trying to set the speed.

I just had the rear diff rebuilt so I was concerned there were sensors on the axels or something that didn't get transferred. over?

If its a brake switch then this is super coincidental that the switch broke while the rear diff was getting rebuilt? Seems odd. That brake switch is under the dash by the bake pedal? Is it at the brake calipers? If someone has apart number, I would def appreciate it. Let me know. Thanks.
hard to say, I believe you will either need a scanner that can read the condition for not engaging the cruise or throw parts at it, the t2's 2021+ are the only ones with electronic brake pad sensors so it's not that. the brake switch can be a issue from what I understand they send out a couple signals one for the lights and one for things like cruise.
it's also "maybe" a possibility that if a abs sensor is off a tiny bit it could be a problem but not enough to throw a code.
in other words I think it's going to be technical, for instance does your have the hud? and all the little nannies? camera on the windshield etc if one of those is out of syn it could be a reason also.
does auto start work?
if you have a scanner available it would be wise to just break it out and start poking around at stuff, like see what the brake pedal reads, I think it has to be at a specific % at rest, etc

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an LS so all the little do dads that come with the upper models aren't included. No HUD, no heated seats, no memory etc.

Auto start does work from my key fob remote

I will have to get it scanned. I have the crappy ODBC ones but nothing diabolical unless the HP tuners scanner goes deep.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its an LS so all the little do dads that come with the upper models aren't included. No HUD, no heated seats, no memory etc.

Auto start does work from my key fob remote

I will have to get it scanned. I have the crappy ODBC ones but nothing diabolical unless the HP tuners scanner goes deep.
brake pedal info is what I would concentrate on first. if that passes then there must be something else of which I am not sure could be anything from ignition to wheel speed, maybe just speculating. there is probably a troubleshooting tree for it somewhere usually in the service manual.
could even be the "ohm" reading of the brake lights make sure that they all light up, did you install any led's? that has been a issue before on some trucks.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the Esky LED tail light sin the truck for 6 years - I did the resistor mod so i don;t have the fast blink issues and the CC has been working since I bought the truck. It quit after the rear end was rebuilt.

I was thinking the ABS sensors could be an issue but that is tied into the traction control. The TC is working. Can't do a burnout with TC engaged and with it off i can make the smoke. So probably not ABS sensors. Before it quit, if the TC is off and you engage cruise it will automatically engage the TC while cruise is on. So I turned off the TC and tried to set cruise and nothing happened. TC stayed off and no CC.

I am thinking speed sensors or super-coincidental that the cruise module is bad. If that's the case I am going to have a hard pill to swallow cause the control module is like $500, which is crazy cause I don't even have adaptive cruise. I am still hopful its something with the wheels sensors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road