crying and coughing out $ 2500 for tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tranny started slipping 3rd and 4th and then yesterday refused to shift to 3rd and 4th on the freeway. Had to travel 15 miles more on 2nd gear to get home.

AAMCO's quote (over the phone) is about $ 2500 for rebuild. 3 other companies quoted almost the same price considering I have 150K miles.

Is the price reasonable? Any thoughts on this?

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats outrageous. someone on this board has to know of a better shop around you. i can get one for $1500 with 1 year warranty. they have a upgraded $2500 version with 3 year warranty for comaprison.

there used to be a guy who built pro race bullet proof 4l60E for $1400. i was going to use him but he fell off the face of the earth. had a great rep and built a hell of a trans. my buddy has one in his 11.1x camaro trapping 120. has 10-15k miles with 100 passes or so and has never skipped a beat.

TNtahoeB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is way too much! I had mine done for $1000 with a 90 day warranty. If something is wrong you will know way before 90 days. Are you sure you aren't paying for a better warranty? There is a place near me that charges $3000 for a rebuild, but they guarantee it for as long as you own the vehicle and they cover the scheduled maintenance. In a way, you are paying up front for better service down the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tom q

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to clarify, this is a rebuild with "upgrades" (not sure what they're upgrading) with a 3 year warranty. According to AAMCO, they will use different materials.

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score
you can probably find a shop to rebuild it for less than 1000. I'd say $1000 to $1200 should be what you pay. Stay away from AAMCO.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAMCO has always been known to be a rip off. they charge way too much. and their "upgrades" probably arent worth anything performance/strength wise. i just dont like AAMCO. bunch of thieves.

OP
OP
tom q

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 other shops quoted the same price. I will call another one just to compare.

Anybody from the central valley, CA who can recommend a shop?

OP
OP
tom q

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found another tranny company that will rebuild it for $1300, with same "upgrades" - changing the plastic caps to aluminum. Warranty is 1 year.

What do you guys think?

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now you are back at the norm for price and warranty. have the corvette servo put in while he is at it. it costs $20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES