Current Constraints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skud

Reaction score
I specifically did not want RSE, but wanted everything in the Ultimate. If you select the Premium package and all the options then this gets you exactly that - everything but RSE and you save $1500.

My order has been at 1100 since mid-September.

cgator67

Reaction score
RSE package was not great in the 21's but it's complete junk (laughably bad) in the 22's with the awful software. If anyone has a build on hold for RSE, seriously drop it. These vehicles will be worth more without it.
I'm happy I found a '22 Tahoe with it. I stream everything anyway. Hooked up a Roku Express and anything we can watch at home we can watch on the RSE now. Stuck it along side the console. Yes, I agree, it's pricey for what are essentially blank tv screens but I'd rather be able to plug in any input than be stuck with software from 2021 for however long I keep the car.

PizzaSauce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm happy I found a '22 Tahoe with it. I stream everything anyway. Hooked up a Roku Express and anything we can watch at home we can watch on the RSE now. Stuck it along side the console. Yes, I agree, it's pricey for what are essentially blank tv screens but I'd rather be able to plug in any input than be stuck with software from 2021 for however long I keep the car.

My gripe with the RSE (and this isn't just for the GM implementation, it's true for essentially all manufacturer installed media systems) is that A) the tech itself will be obsolete extremely quickly and B) if you don't have an upgrade path where the media system is disconnected from the OS of the vehicle and the screens aren't upgradable or removable, the screens turn into an ownership/resale liability. I'm flummoxed that people are waiting on RSE constraints when a tablet/iPad with a seat-back mount is a better media device in every possible way.

cgator67

Reaction score
My gripe with the RSE (and this isn't just for the GM implementation, it's true for essentially all manufacturer installed media systems) is that A) the tech itself will be obsolete extremely quickly and B) if you don't have an upgrade path where the media system is disconnected from the OS of the vehicle and the screens aren't upgradable or removable, the screens turn into an ownership/resale liability. I'm flummoxed that people are waiting on RSE constraints when a tablet/iPad with a seat-back mount is a better media device in every possible way.
How does the tech become obsolete when you just plug in whatever input you want via HDMI? Unless HDMI itself gets replaced by something else which I don't see happening anytime soon... If my Roku Express becomes obsolete, I buy a new streamer, plug in, and I'm up to date. I'd rather that than it come with some proprietary OS loaded on the screens, which will likely get outdated much faster.. And IMO, the built in RSE look is a nicer, cleaner look than tablets strapped to the headrest. Also, I like that both screens can show the same input and then I can "listen in" from the front screen and play the sound through the entire car.

GoHeels

Reaction score
The vehicle will absolutely outlive the built in RSE system. It'll be like the conversion vans with the built in TVs & VCR, although those were much easier to retrofit than the current RSE systems. I worked in car audio/video for several years and manufacturers were constantly making vehicles harder and harder to modify. It used to be a $10 dash kit & $10 wiring harness to replace a radio whereas now it can easily exceed a few hundred bucks. The people buying brand new cars are likely not too concerned with this as it will not be their vehicle by the time the electronics are outdated or failing, but it will be a problem nonetheless.

No electronics are immune to becoming obsolete, but it will be a lot easier to give a kid a new tablet than replace the entire built in RSE in a car.

cgator67

Reaction score
The vehicle will absolutely outlive the built in RSE system. It'll be like the conversion vans with the built in TVs & VCR, although those were much easier to retrofit than the current RSE systems. I worked in car audio/video for several years and manufacturers were constantly making vehicles harder and harder to modify. It used to be a $10 dash kit & $10 wiring harness to replace a radio whereas now it can easily exceed a few hundred bucks. The people buying brand new cars are likely not too concerned with this as it will not be their vehicle by the time the electronics are outdated or failing, but it will be a problem nonetheless.

No electronics are immune to becoming obsolete, but it will be a lot easier to give a kid a new tablet than replace the entire built in RSE in a car.
Yeah, I still don't understand lol.. it's basically a blank TV with HDMI input. Unless HDMI becomes obsolete, which shouldn't be any time soon, any input can be plugged in and run on it. So I'm not concerned...

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
In my opinion, RSE is already obsolete. Even in the '21s it wasn't compatible with Apple Airplay. From my understanding the '22 doesn't have any wireless video option. My biggest beef with the RSE system is the integration. If GM's master plan is to have supply a dumb screen that requires an HDMI input for everything, why on earth did they put the inputs where they are most likely to be stepped on and broken? Why not bury them INSIDE on the center console where they could be protected? Or at minimum put an A/V cubby that can be accessed from the rear of the console and closed off behind a panel. It would need to be big enough to house some streaming sticks and their power supplies.

That said, I talked to Laura GMC yesterday asking when I could get an ultimate on order and was told to try again in a few months. He made it sound like nearly everything was on constraint. Adaptive Cruise control, air ride suspension, max trailering, power running boards, etc.

Skud

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I feel a lot of us are going to end up with orders that never get fulfilled - just like the 2021 orders. We’ll still be waiting next summer, the 2023s will be announced, and then “Sorry, order has been cancelled. Back of the line for a ‘23”.

I’m eagerly waiting to see more info on the ‘22 Expedition.

GoHeels

Reaction score
Yeah, I still don't understand lol.. it's basically a blank TV with HDMI input. Unless HDMI becomes obsolete, which shouldn't be any time soon, any input can be plugged in and run on it. So I'm not concerned...

I would not bank on all future HDMI devices being compatible with current HDMI standards. At some point, the hardware just will not support it. I'm by no means an expert on HDMI, just using logic that applies to pretty much all technology. I had a 10 year old Macbook Pro that I finally had to upgrade because it did not support the latest software.

I'm not arguing this is some immediate problem either, just that it will eventually be one and unlikely cheap to fix. Whereas a new tablet is quick and cheap swap.

GoHeels

Reaction score
On the topic of constraints...

Ordered 11/12 and was delivered to the dealer last night. However, they are missing the 22" black wheels and is showing 2 more weeks for those to be delivered. They are calling around to see if any other dealer has them and will work it out with them if they can find them.

In hind sight, I wish I would have ordered with the standard wheels and bought the 22" aftermarket. Factory installed is almost $3k but you can buy everything for $2435 + tax. Leaves about $400 for install in my neck of the woods. Plus I would have the factory wheels to sell. Lesson learned I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grantprior13