Cutting Exhaust Pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Tahoe

Reaction score
So im pretty sick of seeing the stock exhaust pipe stick out the back of the truck. So i want to cut it to where you cant see it unless you look underneath and it sits right behind the wheel.

My questions are,
1. Will I hear any change in the sound of the exhaust at all.
2. Will I hear a drone in the cab and fumes leak in or whatever people say happens when you dump it.
3. Is it safe to do this?

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut it very far under the truck or you will get some exhaust fumes while sitting at stop lights. I learned this the hard way when I had my Mustang.

OP
OP
99Tahoe

99Tahoe

Reaction score
I just want to cut it off right behind the tire so its not visible. At the point i want to cut it, its like right in the middle of the trunk,

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you sick of looking at it, is it all crusty and nasty looking? the factory stock exhaust IS stainless steel on these trucks and if you get a 3M rust removing nylon "wheel" for your drill and start hammering at it, you will have a bright stainless exhaust in less than 20 minutes. Might really change your perspective..

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I cut mine right at the muffler and it gives a nice subtle rumble just when you are taking off from stop lights and while you are on the freeway there is no drone
I've had no problems with fumes or any of that
and if you want even more of a change weld on some turndowns

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep it behind the tire you wont have any issue.

while it would probably be fine, this is not necessarily true. exhaust systems such as the factory one on his tahoe are engineered the way they are for specific reasons. there very well could be a vacuum created behind the vehicle due to its shape as well as other factors that could "pull" exhaust gasses into the vehicle from the rear. realistically i highly doubt it would be an issue but i personally wouldnt dump an exhaust under one of my cars.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

I cut mine right at the muffler and it gives a nice subtle rumble just when you are taking off from stop lights and while you are on the freeway there is no drone
I've had no problems with fumes or any of that
and if you want even more of a change weld on some turndowns

you might not notice any fumes but keep in mind, carbon monoxide is odorless and does not do the body good lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conquer1