Damaged Z71 Running Board Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garth Knight

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone here has any experience damaging their Z71 fixed-position running boards. I drove my Tahoe over a steeper than expected curb too slow and it bent my driver's-side running board toward the front to the point where it was scraping the ground, I had to park the vehicle to prevent more damage. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? The best thing I can think of is using a floor jack to push/bend the running board back into place since I wasn't able to bend it back into place by hand. Probably better than banging it back into shape with a sledgehammer right?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone here has any experience damaging their Z71 fixed-position running boards. I drove my Tahoe over a steeper than expected curb too slow and it bent my driver's-side running board toward the front to the point where it was scraping the ground, I had to park the vehicle to prevent more damage. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? The best thing I can think of is using a floor jack to push/bend the running board back into place since I wasn't able to bend it back into place by hand. Probably better than banging it back into shape with a sledgehammer right?
best option is to replace it and the brackets
in the meantime I would unbolt it and remove it to drive, if you think it's fixable do it off the vehicle that way you are not doing any further damage to the mounting points.
you can probably find a used one on ebay or maybe a local high end dismantler, not sure how much a new one is probably stupid like $350

OP
OP
Garth Knight

Garth Knight

Reaction score
best option is to replace it and the brackets
in the meantime I would unbolt it and remove it to drive, if you think it's fixable do it off the vehicle that way you are not doing any further damage to the mounting points.
you can probably find a used one on ebay or maybe a local high end dismantler, not sure how much a new one is probably stupid like $350
Ah, you don't happen to know the size of the bolts do you?

OP
OP
Garth Knight

Garth Knight

Reaction score
not off hand no, probably 13 or 15mm or something like that though
Okay thanks, been searching to confirm so I have the right tools when I go rescue my Tahoe from the parking lot lol.

I was originally just thinking of bending it back enough so I can drive it home and then uninstall it in my garage. But I'll probably just take it off in the parking lot now.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, been searching to confirm so I have the right tools when I go rescue my Tahoe from the parking lot lol.

I was originally just thinking of bending it back enough so I can drive it home and then uninstall it in my garage. But I'll probably just take it off in the parking lot now.
What did you end up doing? If the thing was under load/still hung up on the curb, then trying to remove it from the truck then would be really ill-advised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Discosuperfly