Dash rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What would be making a rattle on the driver's side dash. It sounds like a tin plate (firewall?) or something. Only happens on rough roads and bumps.

I've looked underneath the dash and see nothing. Short of ripping the dash out (waiting till I get my new stereo) then what could it be?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds kind like you and I have the same noise going on,mine makes the noise somewhere at or under the steering wheel in the dash, let me know what you find if you tear yours apart!!

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have that on my 02 Tahoe. On the driver's side, behind the dash, there is a metal brace running horizontally along the bottom. If you hear it rattle reach down with your hand grab the dash and you'll hear it stop. A quick fix is to fold up some paper and slip it in between the metal brace and the dash. I am still working on a more permanent solution, just haven't had a lot of time or keep forgetting about it till I get on the road. I will post something when I figure it out.

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have that on my 02 Tahoe. On the driver's side, behind the dash, there is a metal brace running horizontally along the bottom. If you hear it rattle reach down with your hand grab the dash and you'll hear it stop. A quick fix is to fold up some paper and slip it in between the metal brace and the dash. I am still working on a more permanent solution, just haven't had a lot of time or keep forgetting about it till I get on the road. I will post something when I figure it out.

Yeah, post a picture of what area you are talking about when you get a chance, I've tried what you mentioned and it didn't work but I may still be grabbing at the wrong area of the dash!

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here you go. It is the metal brace the emergency brake release is bolted to. I hope you can see it from the picture. I can actually push up on the brace and get it to squeak. I hope this helps you.

IMAGE_112.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I think I see what you are talking about, I will have to go out and check mine out!! Thanks for the pic!

Abn Panzer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My noise was caused by a loose wire connection. Didnt look as thought it woul have been the cause and might never have found it if I didnt notice a broken zip-tie. When stopped the wires looked like they should have but when I moved/hit bumps it would 'tick'/cause a rattle sound.

Just noticed your mount of the Brake controler....
Is that what it is?

If so... You have it mounted correctly? Does it work well like that?
I ask as I have Tekonsha P3 (Looks similar to the pic and why I ask). I understood that it had to be parrallel to the ground (+/-).
Mount.png is mine, but it looks as though your manual-overide would be easier to reach if you needed to use it.

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have the P3 as well. I love it and it works great! I pull around 4,700lb's for my biz frequently I have never had a problem with it. I watched the DVD a few times and mounted it the way they did. It works great I can see the screen and yes reach the manual brake overide! It has an automatic leveler built in and you are able to mount it from 0-70*. I am short and do not have monkey arms so I would much rather have quicker access to the manual overide in case of an emergency!

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
My noise was caused by a loose wire connection. Didnt look as thought it woul have been the cause and might never have found it if I didnt notice a broken zip-tie. When stopped the wires looked like they should have but when I moved/hit bumps it would 'tick'/cause a rattle sound.

Abn Panzer:
Where did you find the loose wire connection? Where did you see the broken zip tie? I've got the same problem and it's driving me nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erlin