Dealer had my 24 Yukon painted without my permission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLG1226

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 24 Denali went in to the dealer to replace a tail light because it was cracked and needed some paint correction done on a very bad stain on the driver side quarter. After no communication whatsoever they tried to give it back to me with the paint issue unresolved or even touched. After a discussion with a manager they sent it to detail and attempted, but could not fix it. I was told it was being sent to autobody shop to have cut and buffed. Without our permission they just refinished the entire panel. I only found this out because I had to locate my car and call the body shop myself. It’s sterling silver, silver is tough to match and if I had known I would have declined. Well car gets “finished” and we drive the 2 hours to dealership to pick it up. It was very apparent that the panel did not match and corners were cut. It’s been over a month now that it’s been with the dealer/shop and we haven’t even owned it two months. Am I crazy for not accepting this or for asking them to buy it back and replace it???

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 24 Denali went in to the dealer to replace a tail light because it was cracked and needed some paint correction done on a very bad stain on the driver side quarter. After no communication whatsoever they tried to give it back to me with the paint issue unresolved or even touched. After a discussion with a manager they sent it to detail and attempted, but could not fix it. I was told it was being sent to autobody shop to have cut and buffed. Without our permission they just refinished the entire panel. I only found this out because I had to locate my car and call the body shop myself. It’s sterling silver, silver is tough to match and if I had known I would have declined. Well car gets “finished” and we drive the 2 hours to dealership to pick it up. It was very apparent that the panel did not match and corners were cut. It’s been over a month now that it’s been with the dealer/shop and we haven’t even owned it two months. Am I crazy for not accepting this or for asking them to buy it back and replace it???
I don’t know if a buy back would be warranted, but I wouldn’t accept anything less than perfect paint job.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just send it back to be done correctly
2 hours away is the closest gm dealer? because all warranty work can be done at ANY gm dealer no matter the brand

OP
OP
M

MLG1226

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t know if a buy back would be warranted, but I wouldn’t accept anything less than perfect paint job.
I offered them that opportunity, but they chose to send it back to the body shop again.

OP
OP
M

MLG1226

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2 hours away is the closest gm dealer? because all warranty work can be done at ANY gm dealer no matter the brand
Easier said than done! Silvers are a tough match. Besides, who wants a new 100k car that has been repainted when it didn’t have to be?!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easier said than done! Silvers are a tough match. Besides, who wants a new 100k car that has been repainted when it didn’t have to be?!
I have had around 3 silver gm including my Denali, never had a issue with paint matching, a good shop should have had it done correctly the first time if not they should fix it.
and paint issue's are not uncommon even on brand new vehicles, it's not going to make it worth any less
although understandbly dissapointing...
and you said it had a paint issue that could not be corrected therefore it DID need to be painted, there is no magical way otherwise
it's not the dealers fault either, it's GM's fault, complain to them

Antonm

Reaction score
New paint that hasn't been sun faded is easy match. Don't know why you think silver is harder to match than any other color, it's not. Heck a decent backyard DIY'er can match new paint, takes virtually no skill actually, just fill the cup to the correct lines, stir, strain and shoot.

Way different story on faded or custom paint as simple things like a different color primer can affect the color of the top coat slightly. Matching existing weathered paint is where you need that experienced paint shop guy to do his magic, but matching new factory paint on a unmolested vehicle is paint shop easy street.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closest GM dealer to me is at least an hour’s drive away on a good day with no traffic, down at the base of the mountain I live up on. So it’s not hard for me to believe that the OP is 2 hours away from a GM dealer. We just dont get big car dealerships like GM in small towns. In fact we don’t have even a a small family owned car sales lot up here, and haven’t had one in nearly 10 years now I think.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I am a bit surprised about not matching the paint… many of the new shops have the auto mixers and I think some places are required to have the automated machines to be “qualified” to do work.
I wonder if their machine is out of tolerance or one of the dyes was aged. Would have attributed to the slight miss on color match. Sucks the paint came screwed up from the get go.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, but was the tail light and stain problem there when you bought the vehicle? Or was there a mishap that caused this afterwards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24