Dealership wanted HOW much???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisW1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ridiculous.

My 2008 Tahoe suffers from the typical weeping transmission cooler lines. I bought the lines from the dealership planning on doing the job myself but lost access to the nice heated garage I used to use.
So, I figured I would ask the dealer how much they wanted to do the job, are you sitting down?

$677.........that was just the labor.

Took if to the trans shop down the street (reputable place) guy said he would do it for $100. I can live with that.

$677.....Are they nuts?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you think thats crazy the shop me and my family used to use back before i became automiotively enclined i recent had to change out my water pump and i was feeling lazy to i asked them for a quote
over 300 for the water pump and almost 200 for labor jaw droped to the floor
i found the same OE factory water pumps for 60 bucks on amazon.com and it tooke me all of an hour to change it out about 30 bucks for the 2 jugs of dex cool

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3200 to install a new OE converter and valve body from my local dealer.
I just about sh*t myself.

Reaction score
When I blew my transmission up, for sh*ts and giggles I pulled it up to the dealer right up the street. $250 charge because of the excess mud. $1100 just to drop the transmission. Another $2200 to REBUILD it and $1550 to install it. They charge $42 a quart for dex3 fluid! And the guy had the nerve to offer me 800 for it!

I bought a new transmission for $1100 and had the old one out and new one in, in about 8 hours.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

When I blew my transmission up, for sh*ts and giggles I pulled it up to the dealer right up the street. $250 charge because of the excess mud. $1100 just to drop the transmission. Another $2200 to REBUILD it and $1550 to install it. They charge $42 a quart for dex3 fluid! And the guy had the nerve to offer me 800 for it!

I bought a new transmission for $1100 and had the old one out and new one in, in about 8 hours.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
And that's why I have only gone to the dealer just to buy a Honda Oem oil filter because it was cheaper than eBay

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

I believe that is actually criminal. That means their labor rate is like $200 an hr. I suggest the get investigate by law enforcement and the corporation.

Reaction score
I believe that is actually criminal. That means their labor rate is like $200 an hr. I suggest the get investigate by law enforcement and the corporation.

That's what I thought. And that's what I said to my buddy who works at a partner dealership. He said when people pull that card the dealership just tells you that you dont have to take your vehicle there.

Reaction score

That's what I thought. And that's what I said to my buddy who works at a partner dealership. He said when people pull that card the dealership just tells you that you dont have to take your vehicle there.

OP
OP
D

DennisW1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

They're pretty much right, they can charge whatever the hell they want, $200/hr. if they think they can get it, or more. Problem is at that rate they won't be getting much more than warranty work, and that doesn't keep the shop running.

I even sent an email to the dealer's "Contact Us" page which ended up in at the desk of a new car salesman (figures) who said he would forward it to the service manager. No big surprise that I never heard a word from them.

The trans shop that did the trans lines for $100 did a nice neat job, the loser in the end was the dealership. Not only didn't they get my business but they won't ever get any from me in the future, parts/service/anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925