Determining Actual Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new-to-me Escalade has a cluster with the incorrect mileage: Carfax shows 25k more miles (this, in itself, is not an issue) than the cluster does. I have been told there is a module/the ECM has the actual mileage stored somewhere... Does anyone know where this might be found? I just want to get the mileage right, and it should be higher than listed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new-to-me Escalade has a cluster with the incorrect mileage: Carfax shows 25k more miles (this, in itself, is not an issue) than the cluster does. I have been told there is a module/the ECM has the actual mileage stored somewhere... Does anyone know where this might be found? I just want to get the mileage right, and it should be higher than listed.
not on that gen. it's in the cluster, if someone replaced the cluster that would explain it. Legally any discrepancy is supposed to be on a sticker in either the drivers door jam or inside of glove box stating the actual mileage is different.
In any case a speedo shop or anyone that does cluster repair can correct it so it shows correct mileage.

only the 2015+ have it stored in the bcm and cluster.

on a side note if you take it anywhere for work and they report to carfax and the mileage pops up short thats going to trigger a alert for mileage discrepancy

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a side note if you take it anywhere for work and they report to carfax and the mileage pops up short thats going to trigger a alert for mileage discrepancy
Thanks for the warning. I'm just going to get the estimated miles from Carfax and get the cluster updated. It was just a bit concerning was all.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cluster itself states 200554 miles or so. So I am going to look at the last number reported to Carfax, assume the cluster work reset to 200,000, and then add on the mileage from 200,000 to the Carfax number. The Escalade is already exempt from reporting mileage, but I'd still like to be as close as possible.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got an Escalade cluster for my Tahoe from a junkyard I sent it to an online shop and they changed the mileage and hours on the Escalade cluster to match mine. Was very cheap but I guess whoever got your new cluster said no thanks and just installed it and drove it.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said the carfax was showing estimated mileage? You're going to update mileage based on an estimated number? I'm a bit confused by that comment.

Any modification YOU make to the odometer now, could potentially put YOU liable for odometer fraud. I'd just leave it alone, if you don't know what the actual mileage is.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You said the carfax was showing estimated mileage? You're going to update mileage based on an estimated number? I'm a bit confused by that comment.

Any modification YOU make to the odometer now, could potentially put YOU liable for odometer fraud. I'd just leave it alone, if you don't know what the actual mileage is.
Wouldn't really matter, unless he was trying to misrepresent actual mileage--but it's mileage exempt anyway.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, according to NHTSA......

"If the odometer mileage is incorrect, the law requires a statement to that effect to be furnished on the title to the buyer. However, a vehicle is exempt from the written disclosure requirements if it’s 20 years old or older, or a model year 2010 vehicle or older."

Odd wording though "20 years old or older, or 2010 vehicle or older" so which is it? lol

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yep, according to NHTSA......

"If the odometer mileage is incorrect, the law requires a statement to that effect to be furnished on the title to the buyer. However, a vehicle is exempt from the written disclosure requirements if it’s 20 years old or older, or a model year 2010 vehicle or older."

Odd wording though "20 years old or older, or 2010 vehicle or older" so which is it? lol
Bureaucratic double speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DiabolicLoco