Dim dash lights (I know)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fefanatic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, so I recently purchased this '11 Tahoe LTZ from its original owner and making some changes that suit me. One is dim dash lights during the daytime. I did the search and everyone seems to think the wipers are blocking the light. If that were the case on mine the headlights and tail lights should come on during the day and they don't. So, I tried an experiment, I took a intensive led light and placed it on top of the sensor, nothing changed. I turned the light off and placed it on the sensor and the dash dimmed darker than what is normal for it now. And yes, I moved the wipers out of the way to be sure they weren't blocking the light.
So, the light sensor will dim the lights when covered with an object blocking all light. I am left to believing that the sensor is working so I am somewhat at a loss to figure out what might be causing these lights to be dim.

Before you say it, yes, I turned the dash dimmer up to full brightness. Even the reverse camera on the head unit is almost too dim to see when backing. Has anyone resolved their issues with replacing the light sensor? I'm thinking I can pop up the front dash filler panel it's attached to and get to it that way. I read where someone said pull radio but it sure looks like that would be the long way around.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the dimmer does not work in daytime, lights are full brightness. ?

Does it have an aftermarket headunit?

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the dimmer does not work in daytime, lights are full brightness. ?

Yes it should. No it's not. And it's a stock head unit.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I thought my dimmer did not work in daytime... Anyone else?

yes, you can get the sensor out with the dash panel, may need to remove a pillar trims first.

Attachments

• DIMMER.png
    DIMMER.png
    169 KB · Views: 4

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I thought my dimmer did not work in daytime... Anyone else?

yes, you can get the sensor out with the dash panel, may need to remove a pillar trims first.

I'd have to try.. seems to be you'd have to manually turn the head lights on for the dimmer to work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith