Dim DIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbz22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did try searching, and didn't really find help on this. This is on a 2004 GMC Yukon SLT that I just recently purchased.

The DIC is quite dim during the day. Rolling the gauge brightness dial does nothing to change it, but does change the brightness on the gauges.

The headlights aren't on during the day. I didn't see any light to indicate the DRL's are working, but I didn't get out in front of the vehicle.

The auto headlights do work. They're off in the daylight and turn on about 30 seconds after I cover the sensor(or at night), so it seems the sensor is working correctly. The DIC brightness doesn't change at all when the headlights come on.

Does this seem like something that could be fixed by a cluster repair guy? Or is it just that dim and there's nothing to be done about it?

Thanks for any help!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually a fairly common issue on the GMT800 trucks. It's an internal failure in the instrument cluster. You can "usually " fix it by simply reflowing the solder, and adding a tiny bit more solder to each joint. It's the row of flat surface mount resistors in the cluster that are the problem. They get very tiny hairline cracks/splits in the solder joints and lose connection. It's a pretty easy repair if you know how to solder.

OP
OP
B

bubbz22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! I do somewhat know how to solder, but don't know if I trust myself in the cluster. I do want to get all the bulbs upgraded to LEDs and add the trans temp gauge though, so I may just hold off until I get all that done.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth, but I've "heard" that adding a trans temp gauge on a 2003-2004 is really simple. You literally just solder in the stepper motor and swap rhe gauge face to one with the trans temp gauge. You supposedly don't need to upgrade any software or reflash anything in the cluster. The 05 and 06 is different though, it has different software supposedly because they added the tire pressure sensors and the passenger side airbag weight sensors in the seats beginning on 2005. I've been told that 05-06 clusters need the software reflashed when adding a Trans temp gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925