Disable TPMS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLDenali11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First time posting on here. Sorry in advance if this has been answered. I recently got new wheels and tires for my 2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali and did not swap the the tire pressure sensors as I never look at it and frequently check tire pressure. Is there a way to disable the TPMS light on the dash from coming on or if anyone can point me to a thread answering this question, I would greatly appreciate it.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time posting on here. Sorry in advance if this has been answered. I recently got new wheels and tires for my 2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali and did not swap the the tire pressure sensors as I never look at it and frequently check tire pressure. Is there a way to disable the TPMS light on the dash from coming on or if anyone can point me to a thread answering this question, I would greatly appreciate it.
Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. I believe the system is tied to the BCM IIRC.

I had the idea of simply having a air-charged steel pipe with the 4 sensors programmed to the vehicle in the trunk or glovebox. If one of them failed, simply replace, reprogram and recharge the pipe. But in the end, I simply bought the Autel TS508(?) that came with 8 sensors and had 2 of my fronts replaced at my local tire shop. Shop charged me $20 and replaced them in like 20 minutes. Reprogramming was also a breeze.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be turned off with 3rd party devices, federal requirement so gm will not do it in any case

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of wondering why you'd want to disable it...TPMS has prevented me from shredding a tire several times. Have gotten a low pressure alert, see the pressure dropping, pull over before the tire's flat and gets trashed.

OP
OP
XLDenali11

XLDenali11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. @intheburbs Have never paid attention to it and I always check my pressure often, but I do see your point how it can prevent shredding a tire. Not really a big deal but seeing the light on the dash bothers me so may end up throwing them back in.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You won’t know you’ve got a flat until the rim has cut a nice slice out of your sidewall. If you have nice tires, it’s the difference between a $35 patch and a $250 mount, balance & tire.

Us AWD folks have to deal with wear tolerances at a certain point so buying one new tire and three tires with maybe not too much meat left will spin our diffs and make us spend more $.

2nd on the BTdieselworks module though. Being able to view, read and / or clear codes in the dash like a factory option is priceless. Same device allow TPMS parameters to be custom changed or turned off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369