AFM Disable Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will find out soon here for Sacramento, (might go smog today) but I have heard of a couple california members here passing with tune..

And given the fact there are legal AFM deleted engines for swapping, I'm hoping they can't fail you for having AFM tuned out and hopefully anything else that doesn't have to do with emissions.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how they could know beyond the monitors and mine clears all of them even with the afm disabled with hpt.

I mean they might be able to get a program to access the ecm and asked if the check sum matches (which I believe there is already a obd code for, it pops up if you brick your ecm flashing it with diy stuff) for the bin it's running, but to do a real compare to find a single value changed like say you just moved the activation coolent temp to 255deg. they would need to download the file from the ecm, have a oem file from gm for that vin code, run a compare between the 2 and find it. plus risking a chance of bricking your ecm, the amount of time taken per car and I feel like the manufacturers would fight giving out their os for every single ecm made like that. plus what if your car isn't up to date? I have a few modules that showed updates that I didn't even do when I had the chance. the file your car came with could be different than the latest update gm released for a fix. if you don't need that fix, you've never done it. so would the force you to keep your car updated like a iPhone? heck these new global gm ecm's you gotta send off to hpt to make physical mods to the circuit boards or something just to accept the file read.

unless they have a clever way of just asking the ecm if it's not running factory flashed software. which of course they could mandate something like that, but they can't retro it back to our cars. as long as your i/m monitors pass, I feel like this is some fear tactics. probably easier to fail the visual.

I would love to know the numbers of monitors that can be incomplete and still pass for each state. I have heard 3. now that seems like a lot for Cali, but I could also be you're allowed 3 not set, but 0 fails. Who knows.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping they can't fail you for having AFM tuned out ...
Not yet, they can't ...
I have heard of a couple California members here passing with tune.
Long story short:
Any properly edited tune by a decently competent tuner (in other words they need not be 'expert', just smart enough to avoid dumb mistakes), using the proper software, will NOT be detected by California when they connect to your vehicle's OBD2 port.

The long story contains WHY California cannot detect a properly written tune ...
When any state computer connects to your car,
they are NOT reading / downloading / dumping the .bin or .hex file in your pcm / ecm / tcm,
they are NOT proofreading it against a GM OE .bin or .hex file,
they do not have TunerCAT / JET, HPT, or EFIL.
The state merely checks checksums and checksum verification numbers against GM OE.

Tuning software contains reading, editing (what we think of as tuning) and rewriting utilities.
Reading the pcm / ecm / tcm, thankfully, is totally harmless.
Editing / tuning is changing things in the .bin or .hex (or .hpt in the case of HPT, don't know EFIL's file extension.)
Rewriting is installing the changes back into the pcm / ecm / tcm.

Just prior to the rewrite, trustworthy editing software also edits the checksums and CVNs so they remain unchanged.
This is why 'a couple California members here passing with tune' -
because CA canNOT detect tunes if the checksums and CVNs of the tune are unchanged from GM OE.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't pass, but so far only because my readyness monitors weren't ready!
It has been a good few weeks since my battery had been disconnected.. I do take lots of short drives but..

The other thing is I unplugged the AutoSync device right when I got there, if that somehow resets the readyness monitors...

Gonna check that my monitors are ready before I go in next time, good thing I get 1 free retest..

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't pass, but so far only because my readyness monitors weren't ready!
It has been a good few weeks since my battery had been disconnected.. I do take lots of short drives but..

The other thing is I unplugged the AutoSync device right when I got there, if that somehow resets the readyness monitors...

Gonna check that my monitors are ready before I go in next time, good thing I get 1 free retest..
How many miles do you have to drive for the readiness monitors to be set?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check which monitors weren't set? and if they said fail or unavailable?

they will look something like this. it might help work out what the limits are.

Screenshot_20240910-094049.png

mine finally set the evap.. I sware it's been months since I changed it

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many miles, it probably varies depending on length of drives. And I wonder if it even completes it in one cycle if you drove very far?

IMG_0168.jpeg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like 2 not ready was to much. from what I've seen on mine, o2 is one of the first to pass after a reset. evap always last by far. I don't believe o2 could be not ready but evap was. makes me think they weight some over the other.

I'm sure you'll pass soon.

on a side note our trucks don't have egr valves right? I wonder what the egr test is.

Reaction score

Get a OBD splitter from BT Dieselworks and not have to worry about removing the AutoSync. Mine stays tucked up by the upfitter distribution box and I'm free to use the OE looking OBD port for emissions tests and to plug my MX+ Bluetooth dongle in or even the tech2

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a OBD splitter from BT Dieselworks and not have to worry about removing the AutoSync. Mine stays tucked up by the upfitter distribution box and I'm free to use the OE looking OBD port for emissions tests and to plug my MX+ Bluetooth dongle in or even the tech2

Nice! I already have their cable! Just been too lazy to install it and some other wiring I wanted to do down there first..

I wonder if the TPMS calibration/defeat somehow caused a reset from unplugging the Autosync..
O2 sensors are original, could be a little lazy.. so maybe delaying the completion?

Anyhow I'll give it a few drives, check monitors, go again in a couple days or so..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vengfullion