Do these come off easy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same boat, white door strips are starting to show pink on top..

I remember how much my fingers hurt after removing a few fake wood trim pieces in a toyota..
(rubbing/rolling the adhesive with my thumb)

Are you ready thumbs? Start rubbing!
These thumbs are made for rubbing, that's just what they'll do.
One of these days these thumbs are gonna rub all over you..

Reaction score
I think you can remove them like an emblem. Use a piece of fishing line holding above and below and with a "sawing" motion use it to cut/separate the double sided mounting tape. Then use a 3m Adhesive Eraser wheel to clean up the left over tape residue. Wash/wax when done.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used these plastic razor blades in link on the double face tape before and with goo gone worked fine. Then used eraser wheel on drill to clean everything up worked fine.
Buy the good plastic blades I have bought some on amazon and they didn't perform the best.

Jon Miles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked at the truck yesterday and there were no creases in the doors, maybe the pic? ....Or I missed something. The dealership was good enough to put a new hood on it, paint it and fix and paint the other side where the plastic bumper cover meets the rear fender. The rest of the body is really nice for 11 years old...
I took the rub rails off my 2011 about 2 years ago - truck is white and it turned out great if I do say so myself.
To add to what 'intheburbs' said about the process, I did use the 3M eraser wheel and it worked like a charm. But to their point, you cannot press ******* it - let the wheel do its thing.
After all the goop from the 2-sided tape was removed, I used Griot's Fine Cut Polish to even everything out and then their ceramic to wrap it up.
It's definitely a process, but to me it was well worth it.
I'll try to dig up some pictures and post them.

TahoeRestore

Reaction score
Yes, they come off. Easy? That's debatable. They're held on by a strong double-sided foam tape.

Removal is a two step process...
1) Use fishing twine to get underneath the piece and cut the foam. This will get the piece off the door.
2) Remove the remaining foam/adhesive. This takes PATIENCE. The adhesive will come off, but it's a slow and tedious process. It can be rolled back with your fingers. It will come off cleanly, but it's slow. Some folks will recommend the 3M eraser wheel in a cordless drill, but you have to be really careful about damaging/overheating the paint.

You can use something like Goo gone to help, but I found that just made it harder to roll the adhesive off. I just used my fingers. It took a few hours and my fingers were sore.
Ditto on this process. I used 20# braided fishing line & the 3M wheel (with caution). Even though it was prepping for a paint job I used caution with the 3M wheel and the surface was undamaged.

keithcruiser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with Matthew, they are to protect your doors from dings. Wouldn’t it be easier to simply mask them off and repaint them? Removal risks damaging the painted surface underneath and you might find a slight variation in the paint due to weathering.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can remove them like an emblem. Use a piece of fishing line holding above and below and with a "sawing" motion use it to cut/separate the double sided mounting tape. Then use a 3m Adhesive Eraser wheel to clean up the left over tape residue. Wash/wax when done.

THIS^^^

I removed mine and the Tahoe lettering.

IMG_7075.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanamade81