Do You Have "Snow Mode" as a Drive Mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert in CA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As reference, 2021 Tahoe Z71 with Off Road Capability Package and Air Suspension

Reading through the manual, I see 5 drive modes: (see photo 1)
* Normal
* Sport
* Snow / Ice
* Off Road
* Tow Haul

On the DIC on my vehicle, I only see 4 (Snow / Ice Mode doesn't appear). See photo 2.

Does anyone have Snow / Ice mode appear on their 2021? I've tried this in 2WD, Auto, and 4HI --- same drive modes regardless of mode.

Manual Screenshot.png

DIC.jpg

Artem-G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apparently these only come in 2WD trucks — so their drive modes mimic what your typical crossover / 2WD car would have.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on what trim you have will determine if you have that setting. The book is showing diff trucks with different options. There is one truck with a 2 speed transfer case(auto,2wd,4wd high, and 4wd low) and then the single speed transfer case (auto, 2wd and 4wd) which has the snow mode. Snap a pic of your dash but I can bet you have the 2 speed tc which is better than having snow mode....or you have the single speed tc without snow mode option....

E167F145-AE51-4183-BDA4-78216E6FDDCC.jpeg

Last edited:

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
My Yukon AT4 doesn't have a snow/ice mode, but my wife's 2WD Escalade does. Must be a 2WD deal.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently these only come in 2WD trucks — so their drive modes mimic what your typical crossover / 2WD car would have.

No, different transfer cases.

My Yukon AT4 doesn't have a snow/ice mode, but my wife's 2WD Escalade does. Must be a 2WD deal.

thinking about this, you guys are probably right, 2wd with help for snow, uses abs like a traction control thing. But I can see the single speed tc using it too....

Artem-G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s interesting, why would a single speed transfer case need snow mode if two speed doesn’t? It’s not like you use low range when you’d use snow mode, would you? In fact, snow mode usually does the exact opposite of what low gear range does by starting from the second gear.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
why does my 4wd have traction control? It automatically shuts it off in 4lo and you have to shut it off to get any wheel spin (at all) if youre stuck or need to get up a hill. Single speed transfer cases only have a 4hi (and auto) so I can see them adding it so people ‘feel better’ about driving because nobody knows how drive without abs, traction control and 4wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MAGAlomaniac