Door Won't Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowpapasmurf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First of all, new to the forum. Been doing 12 volt installs since I was 16, had a shop for a few years doing custom fabrication, audio and video installs, alarm installs and just about anything else you can get in a vehicle.

So I just bought a 1999 GMC Yukon SLT. Black over Silver with Gray interior.

I have a few things to work out since this came from a buy here pay here lot.

I have not opened the door up and really researched the issue but before I do I wanted to know if anyone has heard of this and what may be causing it.
The Passenger door is not locking. I don't mean the power locks don’t work I can figure out actuators in my sleep. I mean you push the lock down, and it is connected to the rod I feel the pressure and hear it lock, but if you try to open the door from the inside or outside handle it opens if as if the lock was not even on. Needles to say as of now I don't keep anything of value in the truck yet. It's like the lock is just getting disengaged by the latch rod like Ford Trucks do when you use the inside handle. I even tried using the key to lock it from the outside and it feel like the key doesn't go all the way to lock like something is damaged in the lock mechanism and stopping it from locking. Any ideas?

I plan to open it up sometime this week and take a look. Can’t leave the truck unlocked too long in an apartment complex. It’s a nice looking truck and people are crazy!

Now as a second question anyone know how much it is for a new locking mechanism and/or claw assembly?

My friends call me Smurf
Randy

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had pretty much identical problem years ago on my brothers car. Come to find out, the lock rods were disconnected from the latch inside the door. We never could figure out how it heppened unless someone was trying to break in with a slim jim or something and broke the lock instead of opening it. Sounds like you are having the same issue. Perhaps someone broke in or tried to break in?

OP
OP
lowpapasmurf

lowpapasmurf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally got into the door about 2 weeks ago. It looks like some one had tried to slimjim the door. The lock rod was bent up and making contact with the side of the lock actuator. It was still connected to the lock claw but just wasn't moving far enough to engage the lock. I bent the rod back close to stock and everything locks just fine now.

Then I went ahead and re lubricated all the slides, joints, tracks and links. Now the windows move up and down easily with no motor strain and the 1999 stock actuators lock and unlock the doors without any trouble. Woohoo I don't have to replace the lock actuators.

Thanks for the advice seems there was a possible break in attempt. Obviously before I got it. Next step new outside door handles then pager alarm.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365