Driver door problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so It's a 98 4 door 2wd Tahoe.
The problem is when I hit large bumps in the road it sounds like the freakin thing is gona fall off the truck. I have tried lifting up and down on the door to check the hinge but it does not move at all.
So tell me young grasshopers where the hell could this sound be comming from? It's deffinatly in the driver door and the panle under the door skin is tight as well.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1

Samething on my drivers door.
I've already replaced both sets of door hinge pins, and I've replaced every door panel plastic pin and socket, and I've removed any loose peices of plastic and stuff from the bottom of the door with a shop vac.

EDIT: And there is nothing in my door pocket.

OP
OP
Jaycenk

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok no I don't have one on either of the front doors though and the dorman replacement doesn't either. Your talking about where the lach, latches on the striker right?

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Its the door latch. These trucks are notorious for it..try a few wraps of electrical tape on the striker pin and see if that stops it...a new latch is expensive and a ***** to replace, electrical tape is 99 cents.

OP
OP
Jaycenk

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the door latch. These trucks are notorious for it..try a few wraps of electrical tape on the striker pin and see if that stops it...a new latch is expensive and a ***** to replace, electrical tape is 99 cents.

Yea I just went out and looked at it again it is the latch. Mine is starting to get the one sided horse shoe effect where the passenger side is just a U. Thanks I will try some tape and see if that works.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Put some tape on it and it tightened it up alot. Guess I will look into replacing it one of these days.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad man, I was confusing our trucks with the same problem I was having on my Mustang hatch. I do think a plastic bit broke off on the latch mechanism of my passenger door though, the hinge pins were causing it to sag and hit.

crows feet

Reaction score
Yep sounds like my 95 2 door could never get to close tight ,after slaming just loose enough to rattle,replaced whole lock,part in end of door with the 3 big screws,not sure what the tech name is,think was around 198...but sure is tight.no more rattle shakee,

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Its so bad, my door handle broke.
Now, I have to replace my latch and handles.

Does anyone know of any "How Tos" on this?
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius