Driving ~6400kms for christmas, Anything mechanically I should worry about?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! good luck u my friend are way more brave then me. id stay home i hate driving long distances lol i kno its fam but passsss! haha have fun and be safe and cautious there are alot of dumb ass people out driving!

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
was the motor you put in already broken in? Not sure if that would be good on the motor driving that far. might wanna change your oil half way thru each way..

Would you hit any tolls? DUDE! buy a Ezpass! it saves me like 3 bucks to get home and back from Pittsburgh to Cleveland. and its a lot quicker especially with the holidays and tons of ppl at the tolls>

Air pressure in the tires are good and the spare. lots of music! head light bulbs just in case. case of monster or redbull to keep you up.. haha

Hoodon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hahaha! have fun in all the snow! Where in Newfoundland are you going? A flight there would be okay, but you could be stuck in weather at an airport. The drive will be exciting though!

I think your list is good, bit overkill but totally solid. You should add a few things though to help you with the journey to Canada and the Maritimes:

-Advil. And lots of it! Newfies know how to drink.
-Translator. I'm assuming your wife is from Newfoundland, so she can tell you what the hell they are saying ,"i'se da by'e da bulid da boat, not.. ur's da by's dat sails er!.."

Dont forget your camera. You will see some amazing views, plus you can share them when you get back.

Fair weather to you and snow to your heels!

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
holy shit, I thought my 2000 mile trip to chicago 6 times a year was bad. Thats one hell of a trip. I dont like flying, but I would for a haul like that lol. But its like 1800 miles each way. make it fun, stop when you see somthing cool, check in to a cool hotel when you stop for the day, etc. Also canada is cold and wintery drive safe and dont speed!. Really any issue you may have if the truck is sound would happen to even a new one.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! good luck u my friend are way more brave then me. id stay home i hate driving long distances lol i kno its fam but passsss! haha have fun and be safe and cautious there are alot of dumb ass people out driving!

I can't pass, the father-in-law has cancer, soooo, I have to make the trip with the kids before, you know... ...so I just suck -it-up and say 'yes, dear, we are going.'

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

was the motor you put in already broken in? Not sure if that would be good on the motor driving that far. might wanna change your oil half way thru each way..

Would you hit any tolls? DUDE! buy a Ezpass! it saves me like 3 bucks to get home and back from Pittsburgh to Cleveland. and its a lot quicker especially with the holidays and tons of ppl at the tolls>

Air pressure in the tires are good and the spare. lots of music! head light bulbs just in case. case of monster or redbull to keep you up.. haha

0kms on the install, about ~10,000kms now
yup, for the most part broken in, lots of oil changes already, and switched over to full synthetic....

No tolls in Canada really, if you exclude the 407...

Spare bulbs! Never thought of that one either. That's easy to bring out with me.... except for the hids, but if one of those blows, I should be able to pop the original back in...

Music - check! Redbull - check! A case and a half!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

duct tape. Lots of duct tape. It has many uses, especially with children...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA,, I'm really likeing the duct tape!

'If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!' - Red Green!

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Hahaha! have fun in all the snow! Where in Newfoundland are you going? A flight there would be okay, but you could be stuck in weather at an airport. The drive will be exciting though!

I think your list is good, bit overkill but totally solid. You should add a few things though to help you with the journey to Canada and the Maritimes:

-Advil. And lots of it! Newfies know how to drink.
-Translator. I'm assuming your wife is from Newfoundland, so she can tell you what the hell they are saying ,"i'se da by'e da bulid da boat, not.. ur's da by's dat sails er!.."

Dont forget your camera. You will see some amazing views, plus you can share them when you get back.

Fair weather to you and snow to your heels!

Were going to the bottom on the Burin Peninsula? Close to the bootlegger islands? St Pierre and Michalo?

HAHAHa, I've been told that I'll need a translator! And ya, lots of tylenol.

I've checked the Newfy liquor board, they import booze from Ontario! And I did a stock check with the closest liquor store to where I'm staying, and they have 157 bottles.. I called the guy to confirm, and I barely made out that he said he wouldn't run out for the holidays.. I said good enuff!. I'm set!

9 days before we go!

Last edited:

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
Have an all in one jumper pack? Saved my ass many times before. Mine has the jumper cables, Power inverter, 12v car jack, air compressor built in. Oh and a flashlight built in.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Have an all in one jumper pack? Saved my ass many times before. Mine has the jumper cables, Power inverter, 12v car jack, air compressor built in. Oh and a flashlight built in.

+1. Also a serpentine belt, and a u-joint. They're cheap, and you con't BS your way with duct tape if one goes. You also might want to check your coolant temperature rating with a hydrometer. You may also wish to pack an extra gallon of undiluted coolant. I also keep an assortment of hose clamps in case I'm out in the sticks and the heater core goes, or something stupid.

That's a heck of a trip. You know you can always ping us for help if you get stuck somewhere. Supposing your phone works... :)
:rocking:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968