E-brake cable stuck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all the multitude of replies and the anecdotal observations.
I knew the answer going in but was still hoping for an easier way out. Minus 10 and snow with no longer a comfy garage to do my winter maintenance keeps me hopeful that either there's no repairs during the winter months or it's minor in nature. That said, as for exercising the e/parking brake now and again, if I hadn't touched in my troubleshooting process, it would be a non-issue! But that's not the case.
Now while I've everyone's attention here, what's with this ECBM code that's been thrown? As I mentioned, I couldn't care less about ABS or traction control, but I do care that the truck is chirping at me constantly. Whether that's a product of the stuck parking brake or the ECBM I haven't been able to determine. One lead to the other with the ECBM problem being first (as I wouldn't have messed with the brake without the warning light coming on in the first place). Any quick fix for that like pulling a fuse and killing the alarm?

C0267 is for low brake fluid. In my generation truck, the other code we do not have. I have an old Pontiac Montana with a bad ABS, it is unplugged and runs and stops just fine, no warnings other than the amber light on the dash and the DIC is quiet. Same computer architecture as yours.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the first thing I checked. (Fluid level). Dirty but to the full mark.
Tech 2 picked up the C 0267 code and my manual describes it as a ECBM malfunction. That's a fairly wide ranging (10,000 pages!) manual covering my generation of Tahoe.
Not sure what to make of that really.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not what's indicated in the manual. I think the Tech 2 also says that.
I do have have a wheel sensor code as well although off the top of my head, I don't recall what it is.
I'll give it another go around tomorrow and post up.
For the record here are the codes:

P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean - Bank 2
P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor Performance
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean - Bank 1
P1300
C0267 Pump Motor Circuit Open/Shorted
C0251 EBCM Malfunction

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not what's indicated in the manual. I think the Tech 2 also says that.
I do have have a wheel sensor code as well although off the top of my head, I don't recall what it is.
I'll give it another go around tomorrow and post up.
For the record here are the codes:

P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean - Bank 2
P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor Performance
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean - Bank 1
P1300
C0267 Pump Motor Circuit Open/Shorted
C0251 EBCM Malfunction

FWIW, I'd be inclined to believe the description that's in the Tech 2.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As would I.
But you know, in my business as an industrial maintenance electrician, troubleshooting should never rule out the possibility of "operator error"!
I will revisit this this evening or tomorrow and ensure I haven't mis-entered some piece of data into the Tech 2.
Nothing would surprise me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065