Easiest way to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHWELL

Reaction score
Hey all. I am loving the Yukon.

One thing bbugging me. The 12v outlets are all powered full time. I learned the hard way. Dead battery 2 days in a row..

Anyone have an idea of how to remedy this without adding a switch. Just hard wired my valentine 1, but I would love having my sockets turn off with the car.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wire them to a switched power source or wire the valentine to a switched power source.

Last edited:

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept my cig lighter as constant power, and wired up the right outlet to switched power.

Just cut the power wire and connect it to the ignition wire at the steering column.

OP
OP
SHWELL

SHWELL

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The V1 is hardwired but it isn't constant, so that is already good to go. I guess a switch for the lighter sockets will have to work.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not do what Omar suggested above. Maybe connect one outlet to ignition for devices needed only when truck is on and leave the other constant to use when truck is off.

OP
OP
SHWELL

SHWELL

Reaction score
That is the plan. The switch will only be temporary. I have a reverse camera setup in route so I want to handle my power needs all at once.

Thanks for all the input.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The V1 is hardwired but it isn't constant, so that is already good to go. I guess a switch for the lighter sockets will have to work.
So did you have something plugged into the constant power than? If not, you have another issue. Older battery not holding charge or something else causing a drain. Was anything else plugged in?

Cameron

OP
OP
SHWELL

SHWELL

Reaction score
At the time, no. But I think it was caused by the wife and daughter.. I think.. They went into the car and powered everything up. All of this was done via the passenger side of the car. When I went out that morning, the only signs of issue was the DVD was ejected from the Player..

I am assuming that the system was never shut down because the drivers door was never opened. Now I dont have much experience with the truck yet, but that is my guess so far. I have an appouintment at the dealer tomorrow to get one last inspection done, I plan to have the battery checked while I am there.

I have not had any issues since the other day, so I am hoping I am correct. Tracking power draws is not a fun thing to do.

Pulled the Dash today and found the correct lines to tap in to for Switched power. SO once the camera setup arrives, it should be a very simple install. Just need to figure out where to mount a 7" screen. I will be sure to document the install with lots of pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52