ECM Re-flash or Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetlag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I've narrowed my problem ( see 2007 Denali won't turn over) to the ECM.

Question is to re-flash or replace. Do you have to take vehicle to the dealership or can you unplug the ECM and take it to them? Trying to save a tow bill. Anyone know if the ECM say from Rock Auto come set up and ready to plug and play? Thanks.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What codes were you throwing? It is pretty rare for the ECM to go bad.

Yes, you can just unplug the ECM, as far as getting a new one that is plug and play; depends on if you want it to match up to your vehicle or not.

OP
OP
J

Jetlag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't read the codes because in addition to the information stated I the thread mentioned in a previous thread I get no information from the OBD2 port.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Might be your BCM. Did you check your cigarette lighter fuse?

Sent from my fone.

OP
OP
J

Jetlag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cigarette lighters (3) all working. Doesn't sound like a definitive way to rule out the BCM or are you saying that OBD2 power source is the lighter fuse. I'm still thinking ECM.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OBDII power source is the cigarette lighter. But it could still be the ECM, like you said.

Sent from my fone.

mech71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I've narrowed my problem ( see 2007 Denali won't turn over) to the ECM.

Question is to re-flash or replace. Do you have to take vehicle to the dealership or can you unplug the ECM and take it to them? Trying to save a tow bill. Anyone know if the ECM say from Rock Auto come set up and ready to plug and play? Thanks.
unplug wires and put elec. grease on , reinstall, truck should start.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't read the codes because in addition to the information stated I the thread mentioned in a previous thread I get no information from the OBD2 port.
that doesn't mean anything other than the lan bus is possible not working, have you checked the lan bus to see if it is intact? (with a meter)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schrimp5

Latest posts