ECU software

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Police Pursuit Vehicles are technically Special Service Vehicles, because neither are 'civilian'.
Don't think the insurance racket cares to differentiate between PPV vs SSV; 'civilian or not' is enough for them.
NOT all SSVs are PPVs though. Far more useful though to refer to them mutually-exclusively.

Up until a certain year, ALL PPVs were rear wheel drive, & ALL SSVs were 4WD.
At some point PPVs had optional AWD, but not with 4Lo.

Anyone, please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
B

BattleTank

Reaction score
the 4wd is a technically referred to as special service 5W4, not certified for high speed pursuit, still a cop car lol
I've wondered if its because of the transfer case being designed for certain speeds?

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does ECU software differentiate between PPV and civilian models?
The police version is highly desirable. Daytime running lights are already disconnected and or disabled. No need to do it yourself. Engine stop start is usually disabled also. Other undesirable features such as auto engine shut off and other automatic timers are also disabled. It is possible to have these things done to a non-police version. Some dealers will do it, others will not.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher speed limiter, different shift tables ...

What I still don't get is how GM won't sell that e-z-clean floor to the general public ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DShark