electric fan problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prosts1003

Reaction score
ok so i just installed my electric fans that are for a 05 on my 02 tahoe i got my harness from nelson and i asked then if i can hook the fans up to a switch for now till i get my pin turned on and they said it will work without a problem. so i wired everything up like it is supposed to just never plugged the pin in. instead i tapped a wire into that and ran it to a toggle switch that is grounded. everything worked fine when i first tried it both fans came on low when the switch was on and the one fan came on high when the ac kicked on. well when i was driving home i stopped for gas an noticed my fans were not on at all. so i checked everything make sure no wires came un done but it was all good but i did notice that the relays where really warm. would this be caused by the fact that my ac is set to auto and in kept kicking the fans on for a few seconds then off or is there something else that im missing. please help

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you "tapped a wire into that", are you talking about "the wire with the pin in it" is the wire you used for your toggle switch? If so, then your setup should be correct and working, I'd go through all your connections again, including the all important grounds and make sure your connections are perfectly making connection! Do that and give us an update!

OP
OP
P

prosts1003

Reaction score
yeah i just trimmed the insulation back on that wire and soldered a wire to it. ill go over everything when i co to work today and let ya know

OP
OP
P

prosts1003

Reaction score
Did you get rid of your clutch fan?

yes i did and surprisingly the truck ran fine temp gauge never got over 210 with no fans on

i found the problem it was a bad ground on the harness apparently it didnt want to ground the wires threw the bolt or the bolt had a coating on it or something just weird how it worked fine then stopped working completely even when the ground was tight. so i sanded the bracket and the terminals re tightened it and it all works good now. i also noticed that one of the ground wires in the relay block was disconnected from the terminal so i had to pull that out re crimp it and put it in

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem, luckily it was something simple and quick to fix!

OP
OP
P

prosts1003

Reaction score
yeah it was simple to fix but talk about a pain to find out that that was the problem. i thought i burnt out relays and all sorts of stuff never thought it was something that simple. but i am glad i got it and wish i would have done this to my truck when i first bought it

OP
OP
P

prosts1003

Reaction score
so far i have noticed a lil bit better throttle response which means i dont have to push the fun pedal down as far to get going. ill let ya know in a week or 2 if i notice any gas milage difference