Engine failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
How is there not a class action lawsuit on this? Ridiculous!

I had my windshield replaced last Friday and while waiting to check out, I heard two guys at the service desk talking about their 6.2 Yukons to the service advisors about their blown motors.

Even at 40k miles, I still worry about mine.

arkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Changing out your oil more often than every 7500 miles would extend the life of the engine,
though no one can say by exactly how much.
In your very specific use case of over 30,000 miles a year, I'd STILL change the oil every 6,000 miles, no later.

Remember that GM's Oil Life Monitor is NOT programmed for you to Denali forever.
GM would prefer you replace this vehicle some time after 150-something-thousand miles, not keep it forever.

Amsoil testing Amsoil ... sounds like when a government agency investigates itself, and 'finds' it did no wrong.
I'd prefer an impartial 3rd party.

I recently switched to Valvoline Restore & Protect, which is also available in 0W20.
He is changing the oil at 3000 intervals, not 7500

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read that Toyota is replacing over 100,000 engines due to main bearing failures in a couple years trucks and SUVs. I'd think GM could go through warranty claims and find the build series that are prone to failure and do likewise. But doing the right thing is expensive.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read that Toyota is replacing over 100,000 engines due to main bearing failures in a couple years trucks and SUVs. I'd think GM could go through warranty claims and find the build series that are prone to failure and do likewise. But doing the right thing is expensive.
Toyota has a reputation for doing the right thing, even if it costs them. GM, well.....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But only under warranty right?
some are being replaced due to being known to fail, you would need to read the tsb in regards to mileage warranty or not.
they are doing it if a issue is brought forward, not just because..... in other words you as a customer will not be notified to bring it in for a new engine.

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some are being replaced due to being known to fail, you would need to read the tsb in regards to mileage warranty or not.
they are doing it if a issue is brought forward, not just because..... in other words you as a customer will not be notified to bring it in for a new engine.

Right, but again, under warranty only. TSB’s don’t apply to vehicles out of warranty. So if the engine croaks at 60,001 miles, you’re SOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thest1217