Engine Upgrade 2017 ppv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ebutler2200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a retire squad, only has about 50k on the body but 16k hours on the motor. So some parts are now failing. Question is what is the largest engine I can drop into it that will fit to the trans/transfer for 4wheel. Probly gonna upgrade trans to the 10 speed if It maintains 4w. Most likely looking to get a short block from the chevy performance site or something of similar. Also would like to be able to make it pass emissions if possible. Its a project truck so looking to build something somewhat rediculous. If it cant pass emission I can register it in a non emo county. thnx

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the largest engine I can drop into it that will fit to the trans/transfer for 4wheel?
No externally physical difference between a 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 6.6L, or 7.0L. All the same size on the OUTside, all cast identical shadows.
It's a project truck so looking to build something somewhat ridiculous.
You'll get more bang for your buck from slapping a supercharger onto a 6.0L or 6.2L; both of those are easy enough to find.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@L8T BURB is the guy. He has good insights abiut his project. His thread was full of good info.

Personally I would just do a 6.6L HD motor and call it a day. I'm currently contemplating that for my 2017 Denali with a 6.2L that bent a pushrod on #4. It's back running again with a new pushrod and oil change. So, depending on what I decide to do with the vehicle, a 6.6L swap may be on my future list as well.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@L8T BURB is the guy. He has good insights abiut his project. His thread about his project was full of good info.

Personally I would just do a 6.6L HD motor and call it a day. I'm currently contemplating that for my 2017 Denali with a 6.2L that bent a pushrod on #4. It's back running again with a new pushrod and oil change

L8T BURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some research on the 6.6 liter L8T engine. It is (in my opinion) the absolute best replacement engine choice for the 2015+ platform. It is the epitome of plug and play. You can reuse your stock ECM, wiring harness, exhaust manifolds, front accessory drive, intake, etc. It can also be paired with the 6 speed, 8 speed, or 10 speed transmissions with no issues. Best part, the 6.6 L8T was made without the terrible AFM/DOD "fuel saving" garbage that causes not only premature lifter/camshaft failure, but undue stress on the transmission.

As for swapping to 10 speed, that's where you'd likely run into some big $$$. I found my swap that had the 6L90 already attached as a package deal. At the time of my swap, the 10 speed wasn't being made with the 6.6.

As of 2024 model year, GM has begun mating the 10 speed to the 6.6 L8T. So a drop out engine/transmission from a 2024 would get you a 6.6 engine and the 10 speed.. but may be quite costly.

I have an extensive build thread here on the forum. Look it over as well if you'd like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady