Epic Mexico Eclipse Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzabel

Reaction score
Just returned from a 6 week road trip pulling a 1948 Spartan Manor travel trailer with my 2003 Yukon XL with 219k miles (started with 214k). We started in Oregon and watched the total eclipse in Durango, Mexico. The drive from Mazatlan to Durango on the "Espinazo del Diablo" (Devil's Backbone) over the Sierra Madre Mountains crossing the Baluarte Bridge was one of the most amazing drives I've ever been on, and I've been on a few. On the return to Oregon we were treated to a freak spring blizzard at Hart Mountain Hot Springs. Before the trip I added new tires and wheels, bumpers and winch and rear air bags. All performed perfectly. I even had the opportunity to winch out a 37k lb Class A motorhome stuck in the sand. I had a slight vapor lock issue after pulling the mountains to over 9000 feet in scorching heat and I'm hearing a little noise from a lifter now, but other than that the Yukon performed amazingly well. I did need to have some welding done on the trailer suspension (those roads are rough!). Here are some photos:

IMG_5211.JPEGIMG_0874.JPGIMG_4921.JPEGIMG_1100.JPGdfaead7a-3d17-4dde-a571-57f6b971b5f2.jpg

OP
OP
rzabel

rzabel

Reaction score
EPIC!! That sounds freaking awesome. How was the boarder crossing, insurance, etc traveling how you did?
No issues with the border crossings, just do some homework about what you can and can't bring going both directions. I've used Sanborn for Mexican auto insurance for years and they make it really easy to sign up again.

Alexandroid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just returned from a 6 week road trip pulling a 1948 Spartan Manor travel trailer with my 2003 Yukon XL with 219k miles (started with 214k). We started in Oregon and watched the total eclipse in Durango, Mexico. The drive from Mazatlan to Durango on the "Espinazo del Diablo" (Devil's Backbone) over the Sierra Madre Mountains crossing the Baluarte Bridge was one of the most amazing drives I've ever been on, and I've been on a few. On the return to Oregon we were treated to a freak spring blizzard at Hart Mountain Hot Springs. Before the trip I added new tires and wheels, bumpers and winch and rear air bags. All performed perfectly. I even had the opportunity to winch out a 37k lb Class A motorhome stuck in the sand. I had a slight vapor lock issue after pulling the mountains to over 9000 feet in scorching heat and I'm hearing a little noise from a lifter now, but other than that the Yukon performed amazingly well. I did need to have some welding done on the trailer suspension (those roads are rough!). Here are some photos:

View attachment 428407View attachment 428408View attachment 428409View attachment 428410View attachment 428411

Awesome trip. What about personal safety/security (crime) in that part of Mexico? Which parts to avoid?
And what time of the year would be the best, weatherwise, to go there?

OP
OP
rzabel

rzabel

Reaction score
Awesome trip. What about personal safety/security (crime) in that part of Mexico? Which parts to avoid?
And what time of the year would be the best, weatherwise, to go there?
I only have personal experience on the west coast mainland, with some travels inland for the eclipse and Copper Canyon. My wife and I (and our dogs) went down on our own to Barra de Navidad (south of Puerta Vallarta, north of Manzanillo) for three winters in a row, leaving in a hurry in March 2020 for Covid. When we went down for the eclipse we joined Caravanas de Mexico with anywhere from 10 to 30 other rigs. We did that for the extra security and finding locations/reservations for the eclipse. While we never had any issues the 3 winters we went down by ourselves and found the Mexicans kind and helpful, news reports seemed to indicate crime and the cartels had gotten worse. The Caravan hired the Green Angels (sort of like AAA, but with people that travel with you) for travel through Sinaloa, a hot spot for crime and corruption and also bad roads. They were also very helpful with any roadside issues. I had some welding done on my trailer suspension in someone's driveway that the Green Angels helped organize. Everyone will tell you that the cartels have no issues with the tourists. If you have no dealings with them or with drugs, there is no problem. You will see military vehicles with mounted machine guns on the highway regularly. It is safest to travel on the main toll roads in the day time.

The best time of year for weather is in the winter, November thru March. It's pretty hot and humid before and after and you see the aftermath of hurricanes at many locations that I wouldn't want to be there for.

BacDoc

Reaction score
Beautiful rig! Looks like an epic trip.

I traveled a lot in Mainland Mex in late 70’s searching for that perfect wave. It was a lot safer back then before the cartels. The major concern was crooked federales and usually $5 and a ***** mag would get you out of any situation. My first experience was traveling with 2 other guys in a VW bus who I met in Mazatlan. We headed south on the search and I rode in the back. Noticed a big stack of some disgusting **** mags and thought that I made a bad decision riding with a couple of perverts!
About an hour south of SanBlas the federales set up a road block and the driver asked me to hand him one of the magazines and if I had a $5 bill.
He handed the cop the magazine and the $5 and the cop smiled and waved us on. That happened several times before we got to Punta Mita!

I heard now it’s very safe at most coastal destinations as they are protected by the cartel. A friend of mine who goes to Puerto Escondido a couple times a year to surf says that these beach towns are safer than most American resort cities. He was told that they guarantee his safety and possessions but don’t travel outside the town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mech71

Latest posts