Evap Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon_driver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 4.8L 2002 GMC Yukon with 220,000 miles on it (4x4). I recently changed the fuel pump on my own for the first time and it is running great, but now I am having an issue with refueling. When I use a Jerry to fill up with gas, I have no problems, but when I try to refuel at the gas station it will only pump about 60 cents worth of gas before shutting off and slightly overflows onto the ground. I checked my hoses, they are not kinked. I am confident that everything is plugged into the new fuel pump correctly.

After reading online for while, I have been led to believe that I have a bad EVAP Valve solenoid. Can anyone offer me an opinion on this/similar experiences? Thanks!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 4.8L 2002 GMC Yukon with 220,000 miles on it (4x4). I recently changed the fuel pump on my own for the first time and it is running great, but now I am having an issue with refueling. When I use a Jerry to fill up with gas, I have no problems, but when I try to refuel at the gas station it will only pump about 60 cents worth of gas before shutting off and slightly overflows onto the ground. I checked my hoses, they are not kinked. I am confident that everything is plugged into the new fuel pump correctly.

After reading online for while, I have been led to believe that I have a bad EVAP Valve solenoid. Can anyone offer me an opinion on this/similar experiences? Thanks!
I replaced the evap purge thing on the intake manifold driver side and it fixed this issue for me but it’s a pain in the ass to get the plastic clips out without breaking them

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
I believe a bad evap purge vent valve will give you a check engine light (at least it did on my suburban). Bad evap canister will cause a slow fill and did not throw check engine light on my tahoe.

[edited to correct valve, still threw a check engine light for me]

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's either the EVAP purge valve or vent valve. Most likely the vent valve got stuck closed, so it can't vent to atmosphere when you are trying to fuel up.

You can unplug it and apply a 12VDC power and see if you hear it "click." If not, replacement should solve your issue.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not the PURGE valve on the engine; it won't cause any refilling issues.

But the VENT valve in the back will, along with a plugged evap canister or a canister that has allowed charcoal pellets into the evap lines.

Be sure that you're turning off the engine (and key) when refueling. The first (and cheapest) item of business is to test the vent valve and make sure 1) it's working correctly and 2) the vent media isn't plugged up.

The vent valve can be tested by disconnecting it from the body harness and applying 12vDC to the terminals. It should be open with no voltage applied -- test by blowing through it -- and closed when 12vDC is applied. Polarity doesn't matter for this test. Cycle the power a couple of times while blowing through it, since they can be intermittent.

Did this start right after the fuel pump replacement, or later on?

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the canister. they got pellets inside that break free and clog the vent tube up. its almost 100% if the time the issue when you cant fill the tank up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az dirt