Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM sold 220k vehicles(Tahoe, suburban, Yukon) in 2021 compared to the 80k expeditions Ford sold in 2021. So it’s not surprising to see they have less constraints and shorter wait times. Which is also why Ford dealers would be willing to sell at or below MSRP. I don’t think they would be as willing to do that on a F-150, but I’m not sure.

Unfortunately for us, GM dealers knows their vehicles won’t sit on the lot long or at all. Until that changes and the competition picks up, it’s going to be harder to get a Yukon/Tahoe.
Granger Ford is doing 3% under invoice pricing for the F150s.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding onto that, GM stated they are going to keep their production down, and make sure dealer lots have fewer options to choose from. Which in turn will keep demand/pricing high (esp on these SUVs), rebates low/non-existent, and GMs profit margins thru the roof.

Personally, as a buyer, it makes things challenging. But looking at it from a business and wasted materials aspect, I agree with it. Generally speaking, customers will need to be more proactive when starting to seek out a new vehicle, and start looking 3-4 months out instead of just picking one off the lot like years past.
I think GM will blink once Ford, Stellantis, and Toyota eat into their market share with higher inventory.

OP
OP
S

SerialNo1

Reaction score
Adding onto that, GM stated they are going to keep their production down, and make sure dealer lots have fewer options to choose from. Which in turn will keep demand/pricing high (esp on these SUVs), rebates low/non-existent, and GMs profit margins thru the roof.

Personally, as a buyer, it makes things challenging. But looking at it from a business and wasted materials aspect, I agree with it. Generally speaking, customers will need to be more proactive when starting to seek out a new vehicle, and start looking 3-4 months out instead of just picking one off the lot like years past.
I don't mind waiting a bit if I need to order one, but we placed our order for the yukon in October and it still hasn't been accepted yet. I get the constraint and chip issues but if Ford can get these out quicker, then GM might start to see their sales slip if people can't wait. We have our 3rd kid coming in July so time is crunching now for us.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Sales to other companies for full size SUVs might increase due to lack of supply on the GMs, I agree. Could be due to people just needing to find a 3 row option that is readily available. But as long as GM is still making hand over fist profits, and have a healthy waiting list of people with orders put in waiting on production, they are not going to change this current process and way of thinking. Big Corporate will always be profits over people

powderfinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t sat in the new interior, but the previous generation is much more “truck” than the current GMC. Didn’t care for it.

terptahoe

Reaction score
I haven’t sat in the new interior, but the previous generation is much more “truck” than the current GMC. Didn’t care for it.
New interior looks nice. Nicer than the new F150s which I think are pretty top notch. Comes with a lot more tech too in my opinion. Standard 12in display with option for 15in Tesla style if that’s your think. Also has the “lane centering” feature which is close to the super cruise where you can basically let the truck drive for you on the highway you just have to be paying attention and put your hand on the wheel every once in a while. I love my ‘21 F150 and think the new expedition is a great option but I don’t love the looks unfortunately. GM has them beat there big time. Believe GM’s cargo capacity is also significantly better in the non extended versions. I think like 120 vs 100 cubic.

OP
OP
S

SerialNo1

Reaction score
New interior looks nice. Nicer than the new F150s which I think are pretty top notch. Comes with a lot more tech too in my opinion. Standard 12in display with option for 15in Tesla style if that’s your think. Also has the “lane centering” feature which is close to the super cruise where you can basically let the truck drive for you on the highway you just have to be paying attention and put your hand on the wheel every once in a while. I love my ‘21 F150 and think the new expedition is a great option but I don’t love the looks unfortunately. GM has them beat there big time. Believe GM’s cargo capacity is also significantly better in the non extended versions. I think like 120 vs 100 cubic.
Looks, engine options, and the capacity behind the 3rd row in nonextended versions are what really draw me to the Yukon. Unfortunately, time is not on my side and the Expedition was my second choice. My hope is that if I do end up with the Expedition, that in a few years everything will be back to normal or at least close to it and I can get into a Yukon that I want, not one with barely any options just to have one.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rented a 21 Expedition for a week and drove two thousand miles in it.

It was like I time ported back to 2012.

The ride was comfy and that's about the best thing I can say about it. The tech, interior layout, materials, were all bkjsrheidlkjfhvjks. I never thought I'd say this about any vehicle on earth but it made me miss the 2018 Armada rental I had last time.

terptahoe

Reaction score
Looks, engine options, and the capacity behind the 3rd row in nonextended versions are what really draw me to the Yukon. Unfortunately, time is not on my side and the Expedition was my second choice. My hope is that if I do end up with the Expedition, that in a few years everything will be back to normal or at least close to it and I can get into a Yukon that I want, not one with barely any options just to have one.

I know folks have certain opinions about turbo V6s but the 3.5L eco boost I have in my truck (same as what goes in the expedition I believe) throws me back HARD in my seat when I hit the gas with purpose. Like makes me nervous at some times the with the rocket like boost at 400hp and 500lb feet of torque. I also average over 20mpg and have achieved 25mpg on a few highway road trips. I’d actually love if they offered something similar in the Yukon as standard.

OP
OP
S

SerialNo1

Reaction score
I just rented a 21 Expedition for a week and drove two thousand miles in it.

It was like I time ported back to 2012.

The ride was comfy and that's about the best thing I can say about it. The tech, interior layout, materials, were all bkjsrheidlkjfhvjks. I never thought I'd say this about any vehicle on earth but it made me miss the 2018 Armada rental I had last time.
They had a redesign for the 2022 edition. I'm not sure what the 21's looked like but the 22's are actually pretty nice. I have a 17 F250 Platinum and you are right about those being outdated. Definitely an upgrade for interior design between my truck and the Expedition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby