Exploding driveshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word. Acceleration>top speed

C'mon! Aim a little higher than a Civic!

Well considering my cammed/heads/header 5.3 got smoked by a civic a month ago, I'm starting small lol.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well considering my cammed/heads/header 5.3 got smoked by a civic a month ago, I'm starting small lol.
depending on the civic you might get smoked every time. people go for either all looks for those or crazy power in a light chassis. im aware there is even an awd swap for some of the older ones.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver i thought the 4w low selection caused gearing changes in the TC. Are you implying it does something else since 45 mph in low is the same scenario as 122 mph in HI. Driveshaft speed should be correlated to wheel rotating speed no mater which selector your TC has correct? I may be confused. Educate me.

I'm not sure how to explain it, with my set up, at 20 MPH the main driveshaft is turning 727 rpms in all gears. In 4LO is turns 1949 at the same speed.

I made a calculator in Excel that I can send you if you want to manipulate it.

upload_2020-8-31_10-51-8.png

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to explain it, with my set up, at 20 MPH the main driveshaft is turning 727 rpms in all gears. In 4LO is turns 1949 at the same speed.

I made a calculator in Excel that I can send you if you want to manipulate it.

View attachment 256090
Unless you are changing diff gear ratios, the driveshaft rotation vs axle rotation is always the same. 3:43, 3:08 etc. I can’t see how changing my TC to low does anything to driveshaft speed. It would only cause internal TC parts to change speed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I can tell you I drive well over 100 quit often, the average highway speed around here has increased lately a lot of people are doing 95 without a bat of the eye
I have driven at 137 for extended periods of time many many times traveling around the western half of the country
never had any driveshaft problems, not saying it can't or hasn't happened to others but I have done it multiple gm suv's & pickup's as they all top out at 137 if you can get one above that you are doing good. I have always been more concerned with the tires being the correct speed rating than the driveshaft

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The transfer case is upstream from the driveshaft. The driveshafts are directly connected to their respective axles. Transfer case setting, whether LO or HI, has no impact on driveshaft speed. The driveshaft is turning the same speed at 30 mph whether you're in LO or HI.

But yes, a friend of mine who was a transmission validation engineer, who worked on the GMT900 platform, said the most likely failure at extreme speeds is the driveshaft. They blew multiple ones during validation. One time it punched a hole through the floor right behind the driver. :eek:

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on the civic you might get smoked every time. people go for either all looks for those or crazy power in a light chassis. im aware there is even an awd swap for some of the older ones.

This was just some bone stock high 14 sec civic. I'd like to be able to dip into the high 13s when I am done with my engine swap.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you all in theory, next time I take the truck out, I'll fire up the Tech-2 and stick it in 4LO and see what the driveshaft speeds are. Won't be the first time I've been wrong! LOL

Wes, there are more than a few pickup owners over on the GM-Trucks thread that have blown their driveshafts up once they hit the magic speed of 112 MPH or so (don't remember exact number but are several threads about them) Those were all K2s if memory serves. @Doubeleive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryme