External Hard Drive as .mp3 player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are size limitations on some devices, an that limitation varies. On most modern equipment the limitation is 32 or 64 GB.

karlh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had success in using an external laptop style (self powered) HDD?

Not sure what you mean by self powered. I think you mean that like most 2.5" drives there is only one USB cable. If that is the case then the first issue, and likely culprit, is that you USB port on the radio isn't suppling enough power to the external hard drive for it to spin up. This was common in the first home DVD players that had USB ports. While those manufactuers have remedied the issue because of consumer demand, I doubt the auto ones have done the same.

An option that may be easy to tell for sure is to try some thumb (flash) drives of various sizes. If they all work, then it's likely a power problem. However, if you see the smaller capacity thumb drives working but not the larger or largest ones then the unit's software has a upper limit on what it can manage.

Best of luck!

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by self powered. I think you mean that like most 2.5" drives there is only one USB cable. If that is the case then the first issue, and likely culprit, is that you USB port on the radio isn't suppling enough power to the external hard drive for it to spin up. This was common in the first home DVD players that had USB ports. While those manufactuers have remedied the issue because of consumer demand, I doubt the auto ones have done the same.

An option that may be easy to tell for sure is to try some thumb (flash) drives of various sizes. If they all work, then it's likely a power problem. However, if you see the smaller capacity thumb drives working but not the larger or largest ones then the unit's software has a upper limit on what it can manage.

Best of luck!

If it won't power up, it's power related. If it clicks or spools up and down, its power related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buukum