Factory crossbar upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot moore

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon Denali it has the factory crossbars. I have hauled a few things up there, but recently got 2 kayaks. I installed the j cradles, but the cross bars have a lot of front to back wobble. I took them off and made sure everything was tight. When I did I noticed they only use 2 tiny t15 plastic threading screws to hold the mounts for the crossbar into the crossbar. Then there is only a 1 thumb screw in the rear to mount the crossbar to the side rail. Nothing holding the front except a lose fitting piece of plastic. Now I am worried this is even safe to put anything on. I guess the 2 plastic screws don’t do anything really except hold the crossbar together long enough to install it. Then as long as the roof rails are on, the cross bar shouldn’t be able to pop off. But i don’t really trust it. Am I missing something? Should I look for an upgrade? Something stronger? Or maybe I could add a couple more eyelets to the side rails and use that as my anchor points.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’d take a look at another Denali or Esky rack and check for any differences between those and yours. Most owners don’t get up too often.

Mine are pretty snug and feel like they’d be ok with the the factory accessories to mount stuff up top. Pretty sure Esky & Denali have same racks. The last of the Xmas tree needles are finally falling off our roof now.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon Denali it has the factory crossbars. I have hauled a few things up there, but recently got 2 kayaks. I installed the j cradles, but the cross bars have a lot of front to back wobble. I took them off and made sure everything was tight. When I did I noticed they only use 2 tiny t15 plastic threading screws to hold the mounts for the crossbar into the crossbar. Then there is only a 1 thumb screw in the rear to mount the crossbar to the side rail. Nothing holding the front except a lose fitting piece of plastic. Now I am worried this is even safe to put anything on. I guess the 2 plastic screws don’t do anything really except hold the crossbar together long enough to install it. Then as long as the roof rails are on, the cross bar shouldn’t be able to pop off. But i don’t really trust it. Am I missing something? Should I look for an upgrade? Something stronger? Or maybe I could add a couple more eyelets to the side rails and use that as my anchor points.
I've put all kinds of stuff up there and never had any problems. But I did find that 2 bikes is about the weight limit for those bars without them cratering. I agree with Michael - make sure yours are factory and if so, watch the weight limit and send it.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
I know this won't help immediately, but I am not happy with the stock setup and have obtained Yakima rails in order to install my Yakima uprights and straight round steel crossbars. I'll be doing a writeup when I get it done, but it won't be in the next month at least.

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
thanks. I think I was freaking out over nothing. I don't take safety things like this lightly and do not want to have anyone get injured because I didn't do something correctly, or I could have spent $1000 and decided their life wasn't worth it. I may run a 2nd set of straps through the doors just as a backup. if the roof rack ever were to fail completely, the 2nd straps would still hold it all to the roof long enough to pull over.

I forgot to add they are for sure factory crossbars. I found where I purchased them.

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not want to have anyone get injured because I didn't do something correctly, or I could have spent $1000

Actually about $1700..

Have no experience with it, but presumably it is stronger..
Two screws at end of crossbars..

baselineoverland.com/products/2007-2014-gmc-yukon-chevy-tahoe-roof-rack

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Actually about $1700..

Have no experience with it, but presumably it is stronger..
Two screws at end of crossbars..

baselineoverland.com/products/2007-2014-gmc-yukon-chevy-tahoe-roof-rack
I just saw that a few days ago. I was really interested, but the wife said absolutely not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith