First oil change on 2009 Tahoe....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: some mechanic's personal recipe. The oil companies spend tens of millions of dollars testing. If some mix of reg and syn oils worked better then IMO they would be selling that mix.

They do. They're called synthetic blends.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what mileage do you guys recommend switching to synthetic?

Asked the guy at AutoZone (don't know how much they actually would know) and he said it's good to change around 40-50k miles to "let the engine break in"... others on this forum say after 1k.. some say after 9-10k. I went with the median and changed mine (Full synthetic Mobil 1) at 33k and will run until 40k :Handshake:

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mixing oils isn't a problem; I personally won't do it but as I have said in other threads it's your vehicle and you can do whatever you want to it. Back to oils....mixing viscosities is absolutely a no no. If you ever discover this has been done then do a complete oil and filter change as soon as possible. Personally, I changed to synthetic on every vehicle I have had in the last 15 years when they reached 500 miles. Once changed they have been full synthetic from then on and yes my hands down pick is Mobil 1 and stick with the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer for the operating tempreture for the area that you live. After having disected almost every filter on the market I will make one comment here....I make it no secret that I use and love Mobil 1 but their filters do NOT meet the same standards as they use in the making of Mobil 1. Perhaps their buyer got a really good deal from china on putting the graphics on the filter body but their filters IMHO are sub par.

I will be talking to folks at CR about doing filter testing and publishing the findings.....perhaps that will be seen soon.

TahoeZO6

Reaction score
Noob Question: What kind of oil does our 5.3L V8 Tahoes comes with?

Also, what the hell does NNBS stand for? lol

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noob Question: What kind of oil does our 5.3L V8 Tahoes comes with?

Also, what the hell does NNBS stand for? lol

Hello,

I see you got the NNBS question answered. As for the oil, this vehicle uses GM6094M. Only use an oil that meets this standard. SAE 5W-30 is best for this vehicle. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

TahoeZO6

Reaction score
Hello,

I see you got the NNBS question answered. As for the oil, this vehicle uses GM6094M. Only use an oil that meets this standard. SAE 5W-30 is best for this vehicle. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

Thank you Geoff. :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Hello,

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

Geoff or anyone else,

Which synthetic oil meets or exceeds the GM6094M requirment? I prefer to use synthetic oil.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus