Flowmaster American thunder dual out questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner of my new Tahoe had installed the flow master dual outlet cat back and was wondering if anyone knew what series of muffler they use for their kits. It has a decent tone and sound but doesnt seem very loud. Inside noise is minimal.

Flow master always seems to be the go to brand for any regular truck owner but I really have never been a fan. Was thinking of eventually replacing the muffler with another dual exit setup but was wondering if anyone had any input of the brands which will be loud but not too obnoxious and give me good performance and such.

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did alot of googleing and found the muffler is a Flowmaster 50 SUV series muffler.

Definitely woud like a louder setup, do the 40 series mufflers have any rasp, should I look towards Magnaflow or something else?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
i have flowmasters i believe they are 40s and yea i like em. i have to dump them still bu they rumble like a ****** look at my album n see if it is a 40s or not hell if i no lol

The Widge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds great! Love to hear a clip of it taking off, and inside the cab. So is that just a 40 series one in two out muffler. Thinking about what exhaust I want and that sounds great. Do you still have your cats on? And did the tune help with what it sounds like? What part # is it?

You can check out my dual 40's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ZiYs8lgLw

I love em'!

Last edited:

Preludepearl417

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with Corsa exhaust. By far the best sounding exhaust for hoes, burbs, and eskys. I had the same exhaust on my suburban and my escalade. Flowmaster Super 40s and 50s are too loud. Good sound but too loud at higher rpms. Cat back Corsa's don't sound loud at high rpms.
If that's ur thing then go for it. To each his own.

K_ddsl

Reaction score
Are you planning to have headers and y-pipe installed on your truck?
If so, they will significantly alter the sound of your truck.
I would suggest you do those first before you change your exhaust setup.

If not, dig around a bit and consider doing it. One of the best bangs for the buck, and, with a proper tune, night and day difference in performance.

I kept my OE muffler and did the ARH 1 7/8 headers and y-pipe. I'm glad I kept my stock muffler. Sound now is nice and throaty, but not too loud on partial throttle, and very aggressive at WOT. Any louder and it would have started to bother me.

Diabology

What's not good?
Reaction score
That sounds great! Love to hear a clip of it taking off, and inside the cab. So is that just a 40 series one in two out muffler. Thinking about what exhaust I want and that sounds great. Do you still have your cats on? And did the tune help with what it sounds like? What part # is it?

I will try and get all this for you shortly. What I can answer now is tune didn't change the sound, so I guess it didn't "impede it." Pretty sure cats off, I will have to check. I know I should be better and know this already...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO