Fog Melting Idea(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have HIDs in my fogs, and while they are awesomely bright and I love them, I am starting to see a little melting just above the bulb on the chrome reflector. I will note that I realize these are so bright that I'm only running them when I'm on a back road in the country b/c they are stupidly blinding.-

Naturally, I want a solution to stop the melting while retaining my HIDs, so I'm wondering what options could work.

My two thoughts are 1) Paint the reflective surface with high temp paint, losing it's reflective abilities and hoping the bulb is sufficiently bright to still be noticeable. My concern here is losing all light output and wondering if the high temp paint will act as a barrier or if the plastic will still melt regardless. 2) Find metal housings, but will the metal get hot enough to melt the mount on the bumper?

Other ideas?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about just getting 25w setup and not having the melting issues?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the HIDs and get an LED bar for off road :imo:

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've seen a few people (not necessarily on here) that have melted fogs with 25w, some who have never had issues with 35w, so I thought I'd try out the 35w since they're obviously much cheaper

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Remove the HIDs and get an LED bar for off road :imo:

I don't do any offroading, just back "country road" driving all the time. It's nice to see the deer before I hit them.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Get 25w fogs. I have had them in for over a year and no issues.

I just wish 25w was as cheap as 35w

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who has melted fogs with 25w? Maybe they has 25w ballasts with 35w bulbs. I don't think they can get hot enough to melt the housings with a complete 25w setup?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do any offroading, just back "country road" driving all the time. It's nice to see the deer before I hit them.

Ok let me change my wording

Remove the HIDs and get an LED bar for "country road" driving :imo:

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@ Robbie.....Have you run the 25W ballast with the 25W HID? Does it glare a lot? Do you have a link to the kit?

Get 25w fogs. I have had them in for over a year and no issues.

You use them a lot? Please provide link...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, as to the light bar. Look at this...............http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtread/7568341298/in/set-72157630572176678/

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
yeah I use them all the time.. usually not during the day if it is sunny but if cloudy I do and at night everytime. I got them from HID guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian