Fog Melting Idea(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I had this problem as well so I took the fog light housing out of the bumper amd took the like plastic black cover off of the hole in the top of the housing and drilled it bigger and then drilled a hole in the bottom to allow air to flow thru and maybe accidental water to pass out the bottom

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem as well so I took the fog light housing out of the bumper amd took the like plastic black cover off of the hole in the top of the housing and drilled it bigger and then drilled a hole in the bottom to allow air to flow thru and maybe accidental water to pass out the bottom

How much do you run them and have you seen any more melting?

escahoe07

Reaction score
Go with the 25w hid kit or once you replace the housings if they're aftermarket they should have a better vent compared to stock that even the 35w kit won't melt. I've installed many aftermarket fog housings with a 35w kit and have had no melting. For some reason the OEM ones won't take a 35w kit well

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I run them any time it's dark and I drive a lot at night. No more melting that I've noticed if you want I can take a picture of the housing when I get home?

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Go with the 25w hid kit or once you replace the housings if they're aftermarket they should have a better vent compared to stock that even the 35w kit won't melt. I've installed many aftermarket fog housings with a 35w kit and have had no melting. For some reason the OEM ones won't take a 35w kit well

I've also thought of replacing with after market.
But I didn't know what brand to go with?

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run them any time it's dark and I drive a lot at night. No more melting that I've noticed if you want I can take a picture of the housing when I get home?

If I could just drill a couple of holes without having to get a new kit that would be awesome. Mine has only started to melt just above the bulb and nowhere else. I'd love the ability to never think about it again and run them all the time, whether it's a 4 hour drive or a short one.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
It will only melt the top. If you don't do something quick it'll start dripping onto the bulb that happened to me. Also eventually it will burn the inside of the housing turning it yellow and making your HIDs look horrible. Happened to me. I'm on my second set of housings and still have no issues since drilling them out.

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will only melt the top. If you don't do something quick it'll start dripping onto the bulb that happened to me. Also eventually it will burn the inside of the housing turning it yellow and making your HIDs look horrible. Happened to me. I'm on my second set of housings and still have no issues since drilling them out.

What size holes did you drill and where? Any moisture issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian