Front differential actuator install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just ordered the actuator and harness. I tried to see if any codes are stored by jumping the 13 and 4 pins but nothing, so I guess there's not codes stored, so I'm hoping this will be an easy install and will make my system work. Anyone else agree?

OP
OP
M

magnahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just ordered the actuator and harness. I tried to see if any codes are stored by jumping the 13 and 4 pins but nothing, so I guess there's not codes stored, so I'm hoping this will be an easy install and will make my system work. Anyone else agree?

Did you get them from GM? i ordered a new actuator from summit because the Napa one didn't fit. The guy online for summit said it will fit with out the new harness not sure but I hope it will. If it doesn't gona just get posi-Lok so i don't have to deal with the wiring harness and it is the same price GM wants for the harness and Actuator.

more snow this weekend so looks like I will be sliding all over the place again.:emotions122:

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get them from GM? i ordered a new actuator from summit because the Napa one didn't fit. The guy online for summit said it will fit with out the new harness not sure but I hope it will. If it doesn't gona just get posi-Lok so i don't have to deal with the wiring harness and it is the same price GM wants for the harness and Actuator.

more snow this weekend so looks like I will be sliding all over the place again.:emotions122:

I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZ490Y/ref=oss_T15_product

and this to go with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6Q7Q2/ref=oss_T15_product

Shadowace6969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fuse?

Was told my problem could be as simple as a blown T-case or ATC fuse due to the weather getting -36. Problem is, there is neither fuse under the hood and I cant seem to find a fuse box under the dash. Any ideas?

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was told my problem could be as simple as a blown T-case or ATC fuse due to the weather getting -36. Problem is, there is neither fuse under the hood and I cant seem to find a fuse box under the dash. Any ideas?

Driver's side dash on the end. Can only be accessed when the driver's door is open.

Shadowace6969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
fuse

The fuse was indeed blown, i bought a few more and they instantly blew soon as i tried to switch to anything other than 2hi, does this mean it's the encoder motor or the actuator? or can it still be the little $14 switch on the t-case? Thanks.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switch on the transfer case simply applies power to the actuator once the t-case is engaged.

I would pull the plug on the actuator then select 4WD and see if the fuse blows. If it does, then that would point, most likely, to the encoder or a short in the wiring.

grassy04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did you ever get the problem fixed? i am having a similar problem with a 95 tahoe. Mine is the floor shift 4wd and it acts like it goes into 4wd but it actually doesnt and there is power at the fuse and its not blowing fuses. could it just be the actuator gone bad? or do I need to check for other stuff while the skid plate is off?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
unscrew the actuator for the axle and with some one in the vehicle with power on but engine off sift the t-case and see if the actuator moves. If not check for power on its connector. If it is there replace the actuator. If not test the transfer case switch. if the actuator extends fully then the shift fork or collar is broken.

grassy04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no power at the connector to the actuator have yet to try the transfer case switch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toekneeks