Front differential fluid level check and fill.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixxersixxer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I just noticed I need to replace my front passenger axle seal, as it is leaking. Im going to take it to a shop to get it fixed but until then, I would like to check the fluid level and top off accordingly. I have searched all day online and on here for certain info and have yet to find it. I would greatly appreciate it if I can get some answers or some direction.

1. What is the torque specs for the filler bolt and drain bolt for the front diff and rear diff. There are white plastic washers installed on the bolts to prevent leak, is the torque spec based on using the white plastic washer or metal? Or is it not suppose to have one?
2. How do you check the fluid level... Is the fluid suppose to be a certain distance from the bottom of the filler bolt? If so how far is it suppose to be? And Im not sure which differential I have in the front. I believe theres two different ones it could have.
3. I got my front/rear dif serviced when i first bought the truck 2 months ago. In the meantime just for the purpose of toping off until I get it fixed... I bought some Castrol Syntec full synthetic 75w-90 gear lube. Is this okay.

The vehicle is a 2005 Yukon Denali that is AWD. Im not sure which defferential I have in the front... Sorry for the long post. Im OCD lol. Thanks.

Last edited:

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
On most diff's you need to fill it up until it starts to drip out of the fill hole, make sure you on level ground.

Torque the filler bolt down to snug, but not too tight you don't want to damage the washers.

OP
OP
G

gixxersixxer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! On past older awd cars that I had, thats usually how I've filled differentials. However I've read somewhere on here someone comfirming actual specs. That the differential is supposed to be fill up to a certain measurement between the fluid level and the bottom of the filler hole of the differential. I'm not doubting your answer, if its what I need to do that's how I will do. Just want to make sure there isnt an actual level below the hole I'm suppose to go by, I dont want to overfill my dif. Thanks.