Front door Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it came with all GM Trucks. Most of them on the lot were 10 speaker systems. So really yes, most all Tahoe's have 2 speakers in the front doors.

Also, I would suggest replacing all the doors with Infinity KAPPA's. I currently run these in my front doors, and then a set of Infinity Reference 6032SI's in the rear doors (The rear doors did not have tweeters).

After that, I would also replace the tweeters in the rear pillars in the cargo area as well and run them to an amp. Depending on what brand you choose, and who you buy it from, price range can vary. Personally, don't skip out on the Audio portion of the truck. You have to drive it everyday, so make sure your happy with what you put in it.

Folks always love a particular brand and I appreciate your advice on Infinity however, I have always put Pioneer brand in all my vehicles (speakers and head units) and have always been impressed. Thanks again for the info.

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
infinity's do tend to get a little splashy at times. i like perfects 6.1s but once you get into the price range you can go to focal, morel, hertz, hybrid audio etc
take kappa's vs d1720c's... the pioneers sound better despite being $115 cheaper per pair.

i'd get 2 pair of components. 1 pair for the front 1 pair for the rear, thats how my truck is. i dont like using a component upfront but the coax in the rear. rather just do 2 pair of components

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
infinity's do tend to get a little splashy at times. i like perfects 6.1s but once you get into the price range you can go to focal, morel, hertz, hybrid audio etc
take kappa's vs d1720c's... the pioneers sound better despite being $115 cheaper per pair.

i'd get 2 pair of components. 1 pair for the front 1 pair for the rear, thats how my truck is. i dont like using a component upfront but the coax in the rear. rather just do 2 pair of components

Back to what you said about price though... a high end pair of coax can and will do a better job than a low end component of the same price.. when youre talking about a coax vs a component and using price in the quotient you have to remember that components cost more by nature just because is 6 seperate units vs 2 and the cost of machinery to produce it and materials that go into making it gos up.

So a $250 Co-Ax set will in almost every circumstance out perform a $250 component set.

Just something to keep in mind when chosing components vs Co-Ax

Last edited:

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
didn't read any of the posts so sorry if I repeat anything

00-02 had a tweeter and 6.75" in the front doors, 5.25" mid in the rear doors and a 3" mid range speaker in the d-pillars
03-06 had I think .75" tweeters in the a-pillars and same as 00-02 for the rest

when you put in aftermarket speakers you can use 6.5" and it will fit fine
I am using 6.5" coaxials right now and all you have to do is trim the tabs on the template

hope this helps and if you have any more questions just PM me I've taken my doors apart so many different times and my mom has an 01 so I'm familiar with both models

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't read any of the posts so sorry if I repeat anything

00-02 had a tweeter and 6.75" in the front doors, 5.25" mid in the rear doors and a 3" mid range speaker in the d-pillars
03-06 had I think .75" tweeters in the a-pillars and same as 00-02 for the rest

when you put in aftermarket speakers you can use 6.5" and it will fit fine
I am using 6.5" coaxials right now and all you have to do is trim the tabs on the template

hope this helps and if you have any more questions just PM me I've taken my doors apart so many different times and my mom has an 01 so I'm familiar with both models
im not sure about the 5.25 in the rear b/c when i bought my truck it had 6.5's in the front and back stock.
mine is a 2002 tahoe ls.
currently i have PowerBass (4XL-65-92) in all doors, no cutting or trimming needed.
also running crescendo super tweeters in all doors which did require some cutting
both being pushed by crescendo 1000c4, sounds great, i just need some bass lol

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score

True, however, if you run them with a amp even the rear Coax speakers, at set the gains correctly and play with the tuning they sound great. Anytime you turn the music up to loud you will tend to get distortion.

Also, I understand your preference on the brand types. People like things more than others. Any idea what Pioneer speakers you are looking at?

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, however, if you run them with a amp even the rear Coax speakers, at set the gains correctly and play with the tuning they sound great. Anytime you turn the music up to loud you will tend to get distortion.

Also, I understand your preference on the brand types. People like things more than others. Any idea what Pioneer speakers you are looking at?

A pair of the TS-A1673R

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be running coax in the rear doors myself, but I am using the Kicker QS652's in the front doors. Keep real good components up front, rear is mainly rearfill anyway. Just a personal preference. There is really no right or wrong.

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pair of the TS-A1673R
they're ok, but the TS-D1702R sound that much better. great stereo image, great freq.response, a very large yet natural sound. i'd put a pair in every door...i've been real impressed everytime i heard them.. off deck power or amps. all they need is like 50-65watts but they'll take much more.
i know ppl using them with amps that do 150x4 and they take it just fine and sound awesome

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TS-D1702R are fine speakers but again twice the price of what I paid for mine, got mine off eBay for $55 shipped to my door. I can actually hear the cymbals crash and the high hat tap for the highs and I only keep the base at the 1 -2 o'clock position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts