Front end groan in time with wheel rotation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiverpoolSox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Yukon XL SLT with 146k. There is a groaning sound in the front end that is in time with the rotation of the wheel. As the car slows the sound becomes deeper and louder and I really hear it when I decelerate quickly (like coming off a highway). Note that I don't hear a grinding or squeals or clicking sounds. I figured it was the wheel hub so today i jacked up the car and tried to wiggle the wheels but both were rock solid with no movement.

Any suggestion as to what this might be and ways to test?

Note that the tires are brand new and I had an alignment. As well, the brakes and rotors appear fine. The sound appears whether I have my foot on the brakes or not and I feel no vibration in the pedal.

Thanks all in advance.

buckbadly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sounds like it could be hub bearings to me. someone else can weigh in but thats my $.02 :burnout:

OP
OP
L

LiverpoolSox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its a 4wd. I also thought wheel hub bearing as well but when I put up on jacks there was no wiggle when I tried to move the tire. Could it be the wheel hub even though there is no play in the tire?

Wheel Hubs are not awful expensive. I know they have not been done before ( i am original owner ) and maybe its worth the effort there.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 4wd. I also thought wheel hub bearing as well but when I put up on jacks there was no wiggle when I tried to move the tire. Could it be the wheel hub even though there is no play in the tire?

Wheel Hubs are not awful expensive. I know they have not been done before ( i am original owner ) and maybe its worth the effort there.

Is it selectable 4wd? Does the sound change if you switch from 2WD to 4WD?

OP
OP
L

LiverpoolSox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it is selectable. There are 4 settings: Auto, 2hi,4Hi, 4Low. The sound imhearmhas been in the 2 Hi setting. I will try the car in 4Hi and have a listen.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch the tire with a rear one just to be sure you don't have a bad belt in the tire.

OP
OP
L

LiverpoolSox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Zolt, I took a ride this afternoon and switching the truck in and out of 2wd and 4wd while also turning left and right. No matter what I do the sound is the same. I stopped by the local mechanic and he thought it might be the front differentials. He's suggested changing the differential fluid and seeing if there is any junk in there. I'm pretty sure now it is not the wheel hubs and I think the differential fluid check might be my next course of action.

I'll report back I get that done.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had noisy hub bearings that were tight, No wiggle at all and they were bad.

When i had the old one off and spun it around by hand i could feel it was bad.

Chevy305

Reaction score
Just because there's no play doesn't mean the wheel bearing isn't bad.

Sent from my Galaxy "LS3"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbow555